This meeting opened at 7:30 p.m. by Sis. B. Vondra at American Sokol Office in Oak Brook, Illinois. The Pledge of Allegiance was given. The following BOI members were present: John Bazata, Christina Curran, Bev Domzalski, Maryann Fiordelis, Chuck Kalat, Jan Kalat, Barb Kucera, Juanita LoGiudice, Nancy Pajeau, Tom Pajer, Irena Polashek, Barb Vondra, Howie Wise and Jane Wise. Lynda Bazata, Bob Kucera and Kandi Pajer were excused.
– Birthday greetings: Barb Vondra and Lori Laznovsky (10/28) and Bev Domzalski (10/30). Get well wishes: Eva Balas.
– Minutes of the September 13, 2006, meeting were reviewed.
MOTION made by Br. T. Pajer to approve the minutes of the September 13, 2006, American Sokol – BOI Meeting, seconded by Sis. N. Pajeau and passed.
– Barb Vondra, travel and hotel expenses for USAG National Congress, St. Paul, MN, $341.16.
– Hodges Badge Company, 5 rolls red Skills Participant Ribbons and 2 rolls of 500 “Stick on Time Record” labels, $361.46.
– Tom Pajer, ASPT bills: mailing and supplies, $75.25.
– Tom Pajer, Skills cards, $278.75.
– Lynette Gilbert, production of ASPT DVDs, $355.40.
MOTION made by Br. J. Bazata to approve bills, seconded by Sis. N. Pajeau and passed.
– Letter to Cindy Weyers for repayment of Greg’s 205-2006 Merit Award.
– Vladimar Dostal, COS 2006 Prague Slet Banner and letter.
– Bud Benak, Instructor School Financial Report and back-up paperwork.
– Chuck Kalat, October Director’s Newsletter.
– Red Bond Book of Director’s Newsletters, 2001-2005.
– Hodges Badge co-Skills Participant Ribbons order.
– September Publication
– Invitations from various gymnastic meets.
– Hodges Badge Company, 2007 Athletic and Educational Awards Catalog (page 7).
– Hasty Awards, 20th anniversary catalog.
– Ten.0, 2007 catalog.
– DGS, 2007 catalog.
– GMR, Fall, 2006 catalog.
– American Council on Exercise, www.acefitness.org, October.
– PE-NEWS, August/September newsletter, www.pelinks4u.org.
– PE4life, Fall, 2006, www.pe4life.org.
– The Presidents Challenge, Fitness is Fun Newsletter, www.presidentschallenge.org, October.
– The Dumpling Newsletter, www.thedumplingnews.com, October.
– Health and Fitness, www.exercise.about.com.
– USA Gymnastics Fitness, www.usa-gynastics.org/fitness/club_fitness.html.
– President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports e-newsletter, www.fitness.gov/enewsletter/Fall06-execdir-main.htm.
– BOI, American Sokol updated Action List and September BOI minutes posted, www.american-sokol/boi/members.
ASO BOI CHALLENGE
– At this time, members of the BOI participated in discussion of the Part 2 – ASO-BOI Challenge chart included in the Agenda for this meeting and the rankings of interest.
– Survey was sent out to BOI members; 6 responses were received.
– After lengthy discussions of the criteria listed in the chart, the following items were eliminated: $3.00 head tax; Directors teleconference is eliminated now with a possible reinstatement later; ASO Foundation coverage; Sponsorship; pig roast; and night at the races.
– Items remaining for further discussion: Cartwheel-a-thon; $10K giveaway; celebrity golf outing; hold competitions open to the public; volleyball tournament; and 50/50 raffle, but should be called a split raffle.
– Copy of Youth Committee Status Report submitted October 11, 2006, is attached.
– This group will be meeting on Sunday with the district coordinators. Report will be provided at the District Directors Conference.
2006 DISTRICT DIRECTORS CONFERENCE (New York, 10/20-22/06)
– There was a request that all agenda items be reviewed prior to conference.
– Southern District has not submitted an annual report.
– Sis. B. Vondra and Sis. J. LoGiudice will coordinate arrival times in New York in order to coordinate transportation upon arrival to Sokol New York. Attendees will be responsible for cost of all transportation while in New York City. It was noted that quarters are needed to ride the bus; dollar bills are not accepted.
OTHER OLD AND NEW BUSINESS:
2009 American Sokol Slet – Ft. Worth, TX
– No new updates at this time.
School Board Meeting
– Sis. Mary Cushing was appointed as the Instructor School Director for the 2007 School in Cleveland, OH.
– Discussed the new practice teaching lesson cards that were used for the first time at the last school. The cards will be laminated to be preserved as the cards to be used by the students and will be collected after school use.
– School Board agreed on a new diploma; school staff reviewed the current diploma and will create a more classical-looking diploma.
– Bid forms will be reviewed; there is some confusion about where the school directors name would be indicated.
– The staff will be sent information about the National programs including something that can be put in the handout books.
– Br. Peter Lattanzio is working on some new lesson cards; he will include skills from the BOI skill cards to include in lesson plans. Progressions will adjust according to the skills on the cards. Teaching staff will incorporate the skills.
– School director and school board director are not necessarily the same person. These positions are appointed by the national directors with input from the school board.
– The administration of the guideline book is being transferred to the school board and away from the staff. The guideline book is copyrighted, but it will have no effect on our administration of that book when it is changed and improved.
Strategic Planning Committee Plans
– The Strategic Planning Task Force is looking forward to presenting their plan at the District Directors Conference.
Adult Merit Award
– Sis. N. Pajeau reported that this project will be discussed at the Directors Conference.
2007 Sokol USA Slet – Pittsburgh, PA, June 28 to July 1, 2007 (Thursday – Sunday)
– Br. M. Kocek has not yet completed the recommended changes to the American Sokol Special Number for the Sokol USA Slet.
– Calisthenic text is on the Sokol USA web site (www.sokolusa.org). CDS and DVDs will be available soon.
– Discussed Lynette Gilbert’s production and work on ASPT’s DVD. She purchased a burner for about $600 to use on this project. She will continue to help Sokol with future projects and she will use the burner for her own personal projects. It was suggested that she be reimbursed for the purchase of the burner up to one-half of its cost or $300.00.
MOTION made by Sis. J. Kalat to send Lynette Gilbert $300 toward the cost of the burner, seconded by Sis. M. Fiordelis and passed.
– Br. T. Pajer will take skills cards and ribbons with him to New York for distribution.
– Br. T. Pajer has ASPT t-shirts left over he was offering to the BOI for free if anyone wanted them.
– Br. T. Pajer turned over to Sis. J. LoGiudice for the office two extra DVDs of ASPT performances.
– Dr. Tom Sattler was nominated for the National Fitness Hall of Fame, www.nationalfitnessorganization.com/halloffame/2007candidatebios.html, vote deadline is 10/16/06.
– Sis. E. Schnabl sent Districts educational material; she has ideas for skills card for co-ed seniors/Group II.
– Donna Sbriglia, women’s director at Sokol New York e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org.
– USAG US gymnasts 2006 World Championships at www.WCSN.com, $4.95, 10/17-21/2006.
– Kevin Fitzpatrick is in the hospital with a blood clot in his right arm; had surgery today. Get well wishes can be sent to his home at 3471 West 151st Street, Cleveland, OH 44111.
– Action list was reviewed; an updated copy is posted on the BOI members web site.
The next regular ASO-BOI meeting will be held at the American Sokol office at 122 West 22nd Street, Oak Brook, IL, on Wednesday, November 8, 2006, at 7:30 p.m. There was no further business to discuss.
Meeting adjourned at 9:00 p.m.
Beverly R. Domzalski, Secretary