This meeting opened at 7:30 p.m. by Sis. B. Vondra at American Sokol Office in Oak Brook, Illinois. The Pledge of Allegiance was given. The following BOI members were present: John Bazata, Lynda Bazata, Mary Cushing, Bev Domzalski, Mary Ann Fiordelis, Allison Gerber, Chuck Kalat, Jan Kalat, Barb Kucera, Bob Kucera, Paul Lebloch, Juanita LoGiudice, Nancy Pajeau, Tom Pajer, Irena Polashek, Barb Vondra, Patti Vondra, Howie Wise and Jane Wise. Christina Curran and Kandi Pajer were excused. A moment of silence was observed for Sis. Eva Balas.
– Happy Belated Birthday!: John Bazata 6/10, Sandy Benak 6/11.
– Happy Birthday!: Kandi Pajer 6/17, Howie Wise 6/18, Maryann Fiordelis 6/25, Ellen Jeanne Schnabl 7/15, Ed Schnabl 8/03.
– Sympathy: Eva Balas’s family on her passing 5/26.
– Welcome to Mary Cushing, Sokol Detroit President.
– Minutes of the May 9, 2007, meeting were reviewed. Correction: Jessica Bardy is DA Sokol Women’s Director, not Sokol USA.
MOTION made by Br. T. Pajer to approve the minutes of the May 9, 2007, American Sokol – BOI Meeting, as corrected, seconded by Sis. L. Bazata and passed.
– Juanita LoGiudice, postage for shipping Special Number t-shirts, $33.37.
– Automatic Printing Co., 500 Instructor School certificates and 550 folders, $669.82.
– Violet’s Flower Shop, garden basket for Eva Balas, under $90.00.
– Tom Pajer, Headed for the Future t-shirts, $1, 114.86.
MOTION made by Sis. N. Pajeau to approve bills, seconded by Sis. L. Bazata and passed.
– Br. T. Pajer turned over income from Central District Traveling Camp, $960.00.
– American Sokol Directors Newsletters, May and June, 2007.
– April/May, 2007 American Sokol Publication.
– COS Sokol Magazine: May, 2007.
– Invitation to 60th Anniversary celebration dinner, Sokol USA Lodge 306, 8/11/07.
– Invitation to Golden Prague Gala at Hilton Chicago, Friday, 6/29/07.
– Winter Men’s Gymnastics Challenge, 12/14-16/2007, Cincinnati Duke Energy – info at www.cincinnatiwintersportsfestival.com.
– Central District brochure distributed during local parade route.
– Sokol New York Newsletter. 140th Anniversary Celebration is 10/13/07.
– E-mail correction from Mary Cushing: firstname.lastname@example.org and Allen Cushing: Acush47@comcast.net.
– USA Gymnastics: Take the Tyson Fitness Challenge, 3/3-4/07, www.usa-gymnastics.org/tysonfitnesschallenge.
– May Ennis Now Magazine: Larry Laznovsky, “Flight of the Falcon.”
– Barb Vondra, Illinois State Congress at Itasca Park District, July 27-29, 2007, www.region5.com/illinois.
– Action List & Minutes Posted on website, www.american-sokol.org/boi/members.
– Youth membership registration total is 2, 069.
– Income: passport sales: $2.00; new youth members, $20.00; total income is $22.00.
– Expenses: May Youth Newsletter, $658.60; box of labels, $56.57; packaging/mailing, $4.47; postage for mailing passports to Detroit, $2.15; hidden picture contest prize mailing from February newsletter, $42.30; stamps, $861.00; four scholarship contest winners transfer, $1, 300.00; total expenses, $2, 925.09.
– Written report attached and posted at www.american-sokol.org/boi/members.
– Sokol Youth Web page: www.american-sokol.org/boi/sokolkids.
– Br. B. Kucera will design a sticker for course and camp passports if there are no contest entries.
NATIONAL EDUCATIONAL DIRECTOR
– Br. C. Kalat received Sis. EllenJeanne Schnabl’s monthly mailing of educational information, including an article for the Directors’ Newsletter. Sis. Schnabl sent no report for this meeting.
– Sis. Schnabl has talked to Sis. N. Pajeau about the skills cards she is putting together for seniors.
– No report submitted. New Wing coordinators volunteered to help the YES group from Sokol USA at the Slet; have had no response from them to date.
2007 SOKOL USA SOKOLFEST – June 28, to July 1, 2007
– Sis. M. Cushing is looking for numbers of people performing ASO Special Number so field positions can be set. Br. C. Kalat has had no response from units except for Sokol Greater Cleveland.
– Official Information is posted on Sokol USA website: www.sokolusa.org. Click on Slet ad box.
– Sis. J. LoGiudice will take the American, Czech, Slovak and ASO flags if there is room on the bus. Units are requested to bring their Unit flags only.
– Br. C. Kalat e-mailed competition schedule to directors along with forms to be signed.
– Br. C. Kalat posted American Sokol Special Number text changes on the BOI group web site.
2007 NATIONAL INSTRUCTORS SCHOOL – July 16, to July 30, 2007
– Sis. J. Wise has forms for 32 students. There should be 2 more from DA, 2 from New York, possibly 1 from West, 1 from KHB. FYI, there are 2 from Sokol Canada – Toronto, 2 from Sokol USA – Monesson, 5 from Milwaukee and 4 from Naperville. Sis. J. Wise has been in contact with Br. B. Benak, who has been very helpful; she also spent a couple hours in discussion with Sis. M. Cushing.
– Sis. Cushing reported that there was a miscommunication with Kenny Fron; he is coming; Sonia Nakonycny will not be on the staff, leaving one Instructor-In-Training at course. With the numbers increasing this past week, Sis. Cushing will add an additional instructor. Current instructors will be Peter Lattanzio, Kevin Fitzpatrick, Steven Wise, Gretchen Vencl and Mary Cushing.
2007 NATIONAL SOKOL CAMP – July 30 to August 5, 2007
– There are 45 campers registered; 7 from St. Louis, 4 from Tabor, 6 from Stickney, 2 from Detroit, 2 Sokol USA Boonton, 1 Sokol USA Lodge 12, 5 from New York, 7 Greater Cleveland, 7 from Spirit, 3 from Sokol USA Farrell.
– The staff will be Lori Laznovsky, Peter Lattanzio, Tom Pajer, Steven Wise, Maria Breidenbach, Matt Carlozzi, Kevin Fitzpatrick and Kenny Fron and Ryan Newcomer are counselors.
– All registered have paid. We need to collect money from ASO Youth membership.
OTHER OLD AND NEW BUSINESS:
2006-07 Merit Awards
– Merit Award Meeting Report dated June 13, 2007, is attached.
MOTION made by Br. B. Kucera to accept the recommendations of the 2007-08 Merit awardees, seconded by Sis. N. Pajeau and passed.
– There was a new question for the essay this year, “How has Sokol prepared me for the future?” Not many essays were on track in answering this question.
Summer Traveling Camps
– Br. Pajer reported that everything is in order for the Central District camp. Everyone will be at camp on Friday, at 5:00 p.m. Br. and Sis. Kucera coordinated everything for Central District Camp. There will be 32 kids attending; including 3 non-Sokols. Sokol Tabor has a visitor clause included in their insurance coverage.
2009 American Sokol Slet
– No new progress to report. Scheduled date remains June 22 to June 28, 2009.
– Western District is interested in testing the children’s calisthenics. Central District is also interested in testing calisthenics, possibly Jr./Sr. cal.
– Tom Pajer and Christina Curran are moving forward with the cal they are preparing; they were granted an extension to early Fall, 2007.
Strategic Planning Committee Report
– Sis. M. Fiordelis reported the team is meeting regularly and moving ahead very well. The survey is out on the ASO web site; deadline is June 15, 2007. To date, 270 people have taken the survey. Currently the committee is working on the educational program.
– Sis. Fiordelis is still looking for more team members, especially for the personnel team, which will be starting next week. Anyone with personnel experience should apply for this team.
2007 Directors Conference and BOI Development Conference – October 19-21, 2007, Ft. Worth, Texas
– Br. C. Kalat requested that topics be e-mailed to him.
– Some uniforms were received, but there were some problems with the order that was not corrected. Plan B Committee includes Howie and Jane Wise, Allison Gerber, Rome Milan, Tom Pajer and/or Nancy Pajeau, Jean Hruby, Barb Vondra and Chuck Kalat. Jean has begun some work for this committee looking for a new company.
– Presidents Council on Physical Fitness and Sports asked ASO to submit names of people nominated for 2007 Community Leadership Award. Donna Scott, Nancy Pajeau and Barb Vondra submitted Doris Marks name and wrote a 250 word paper on her; Doris was selected as a winner for 2007.
– Sis. B. Kucera reported that a large group of Central District people performed at the Daley Plaza in downtown Chicago during the Prague Days celebration. Many pictures were taken; will submit for ASO Publication.
– August 4, 2007 is National Gymnastics Day.
– American Council on Exercise: www.acefitness.org. ACE Fitness Symposium 2007 is in Las Vegas, NV on 9/5/07.
– PE-NEWS: www.pelinks4u.org, February 2007
– PE4life: www.pe4life.org.
– The Presidents Challenge: Fitness is Fun Newsletter: www.presidentschallenge.org.
– The Dumpling Newsletter: www.thedumplingnews.com.
– Health & Fitness: www.exercise.about.com.
– USA Gymnastics Fitness: www.usa-gymnastics.org/fitness
– President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports e-newsletter: www.fitness.gov/enewsletter/Winter07-execdir-main.htm
– American Society on Ageing & Center for Disease Control: www.asaging.org/cdc
– Sign up for newsletters: www.talk.about.com
– TEN.O: www.ten-o.com, monthly specials.
– Tiffin Mats: www.TiffinMats.com, monthly specials.
Many links on www.czechheritage.org.
Gymnastic Training tips: www.gymnasticstrainingtips.com. Links and Resources.
– Action list was reviewed; an updated copy is posted on the BOI members web site.
At this time, Sis. B. Vondra announced that Br. John Bazata and Sis. Lynda Bazata are resigning from their positions as Central District Physical Directors in November, 2007. As a token of appreciation for their service to the ASO BOI, a gift was presented to them from the ASO BOI.
The next regular ASO-BOI meeting will be held at the American Sokol office at 122 West 22nd Street, Oak Brook, IL, on Wednesday, August 8, 2007, at 7:30 p.m. There was no further business to discuss.
MOTION made to adjourn.
Meeting adjourned at 8:45 p.m.
Beverly R. Domzalski, Secretary