This meeting opened at 7:30 p.m. by Sis. B. Vondra at American Sokol Office in Oak Brook, Illinois. The Pledge of Allegiance was given. The following BOI members were present: John Bazata, Lynda Bazata, Bev Domzalski, Mary Ann Fiordelis, Chuck Kalat, Jan Kalat, Beth Kocek, Matt Kocek, Bob Kucera, Barb Kucera, Paul Lebloch, Juanita LoGiudice, Nancy Pajeau, Tom Pajer, Irena Polashek, Pat Satek, Barb Vondra and Howie Wise. Christina Curran, Kandi Pajer, Rich Vachata and Patti Vondra were excused.
– Birthday greetings: Kandi Pajer, Howie Wise, Maryann Fiordelis, Eva Balas and Ellen Jeanne Schnabl.
– Minutes of the May 10, 2006, meeting were reviewed.
MOTION made by Br. B. Kucera to approve the minutes of the May 10, 2006, American Sokol – BOI Meeting, seconded by Br. J. Bazata and passed.
– Juanita LoGiudice, postage for mailing of Prague t-shirts, $131.75.
– Chuck Kalat, USAG Congress registration 8/16-19/2006 in St. Paul, MN, $235.00.
– Chuck Kalat, USAG Professional renewal membership for Jun, 2006-2007, $95.00.
– Chuck Kalat, cost of small American flags for Prague Slet Parade, $106.20.
– COS, postage and uniform samples sent, cost unknown at this time.
– Barb Vondra, 3-year membership for AAPHERD, $300.00
– Barb Vondra, 2006 Congress registration fee, $235.00.
– Barb Vondra, USAG Professional renewal membership, $95.00.
MOTION made by Sis. M. Fiordelis to approve bills, seconded by Sis. N. Pajeau and passed.
– Ceske Listy 5/2006 publication; includes American Sokol Gratias Agit Award pictures
– June, 2006 Directors’ Newsletter.
– June, 2006, American Sokol Publication.
– Sokol Milwaukee Summer, 2006 Newsletter; colorful Sokol pictures.
– Central District flyer for Central District Competitive GIJO Gymnastic Team; contact Stacey Domzalski, Taz2712@aol.com.
– Chicago Park District packet; 63rd Street Beach competitions on 7/15-16/2006; registration deadline 7/1/06; gymnastics, tumbling, cheerleading, poms; www.chicagoparkdistrict.com, click events calendar, July 15-16.
– Palatine Park District job ad; year-round full-time gymnastic coordinator; contact email@example.com; deadline 6/23/06.
– LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon 10/22/06 flyer; www.chicagomarathon.com; join a Sokol team e-mail Beth Kocek at firstname.lastname@example.org.
– CSA flyer, summer hours close at 3:00 p.m. on Fridays.
– Allison Gerber, Western District Competition results, April 28-30, 2006.
– Sokol Greater Cleveland new e-mail address, email@example.com.
– Bev Domzalski, American Sokol BOI May Minutes; Tom Pajer posted both on web site www.american-sokol/boi/members.
– Merit Award meeting Tuesday, 6/13/06 at 8:00 p.m.
– Loree Galimore/USA Gymnastics Tyson Fitness Challenge, 6/12 to 8/5/06; kick-off Tuesday, 6/13/06 on NBC Today Show; National Gymnastics Day, 8/5/06, www.usa-gymnastics.org/fitnesschallenge and www.usa-gymnastics.org/events/2006/ngd/form.php.
– Tibor Bartalos, Sokol Washington DC canoe trip, 6/24/06.
– First Czech-American Radio on Internet, www.catvusa.com ro www.catvherald.com.
– Interesting web site, www.cscommunitynews.com.
– American Council on Exercise, www.acefitness.org, May newsletter and ACE Fitness Symposium, 9/6-9/2006 in Las Vegas, NV at the Rio Hotel and Casino; early registration 6/15/2006, otherwise 8/15/06.
– PE-NEWS, June/July Newsletter, 222.pelinks4u.org.
PE4life, DuPage County Institute in Naperville, IL, www.pe4life.org.
– The President’s Challenge, May newsletter, www.presidentschallenge.org.
– The Dumpling Newsletter Polka Festival, www.thedumplingnews.com.
– Youth Committee Status Report submitted June 14, 2006, attached.
2006 PRAGUE SLET – July 1-6, 2006
Performance Team (ASPT)
– Br. T. Pajer reported that financially the team is in good shape. Team has surpassed goal for money to earn for the trip.
– DVD can still be reserved.
– Prague Celebration Dinner is upcoming; reservation deadline is 6/15/06; 158 people have signed up; entertainment, auction and raffles will be held along with dinner at a cost of $15.00.
– ASPT still has a few more practices before their travel date.
– Will hold a meeting with gymnasts and their parents about the Team’s plans, expectations, etc.
– Performances in Prague include the Gala, the Parade and 3 stage performances at Tyrsuv Dum.
– Some have received uniforms/costumes while others will have to pick up uniforms in Prague.
Rehearsal and Program Schedules Received
– No changes have been made since the last time. Br. P. Lebloch does have a more refined schedule that he will send to Br. C. Kalat after he translates it.
– Br. C. Kalat has 40 dozen U.S. flags in his possession. Everyone will get two to wave or hand-out.
– Units and Districts have been invited to bring their Unit/District flags to march in the parade. Bringing the flags is optional. The American Flag and ASO flags will be there. Flag bearers have not yet been chosen.
– Parade assembly will be at the bottom of Wenceslaus Square; ASO is at the beginning of the parade. Line-up is at 9:00 a.m.
– Br. Lebloch translated the rules and regulations for the Gala; security will be tight; food and drink will be available for purchase.
– Uniform for the parade is parade uniform or regular uniform. The special Slet t-shirts are to be worn during rehearsals.
– There are 33 Prague t-shirts still available for purchase.
– Information was received about the trip to Decin.
– E-mail was distributed about cell phone service in Prague.
– There are some Sokol sunburst t-shirts still available if anyone wants to purchase.
– Mike Dropka will transport the US and American Sokol flags and poles to Prague.
– The New Wing will be contacting the directors regarding the 2007 USA Slet in Pittsburgh, so they can help in any way they can with the younger Sokol members.
OTHER OLD AND NEW BUSINESS:
2006 National Instructors School- July 17-31, 2006
– Br. B. Benak sent a report. There are approximately 40 students; five instructors; three assistant instructors. Instructors are Buddy Benak, Peter Lattanzio, Kevin Fitzpatrick, Joe Vorlacek and Mary Cushing; Assistant instructors are Steve Wise, Michael Dropka and Gretchen Vencl. Instructors will arrive a day early for planning purposes.
2006 National Sokol Camp – July 31 to August 6, 2006
– There are 38 campers registered: Sokol St. Louis 7; Sokol Spirit 8; Sokol Tabor 7; Sokol Naperville 1; Sokol Stickney 5; Sokol Greater Cleveland 6; Sokol Detroit 2; Sokol Ft.
Worth 1; and D.A. Sokol 1.
– The staff consists of Lori Laznovsky, Peter Lattanzio, Tom Pajer, Steven Wise, Kevin Fitzpatrick, Matt Carlozzi, Matt Petkus and Maria Breidenbach.
– Br. T. Pajer questioned the lack of campers registered; campers are lacking from Eastern District, Southern District, Western District and Sokol USA.
2006 Summer Traveling Camps
– Central District has camp scheduled for June 16-18 at Sokol Spirit. Meeting was held last week regarding all the specifics. The program schedule is in place. The hosting responsibilities are taken care of by Sokol Spirit. There are 30 campers at $30 each; $900 will be turned in. There are two new staff members who are doing a good job so far; there is a total of four staff members.
– No one else has offered to host a traveling camp to date.
2006-2007 Merit Award
– A meeting with the committee was held last night; Barb Vondra, Beth Kocek, Buddy Benak, Chuck Kalat, Jan Kalat and the chairman, Eva Balas, were present. There were 7 applicants. Six will receive a merit award. The recipients are Jessica Rus of Sokol Spirit, Megan Rosenow of Sokol Stickney, Carly Vincentini of Sokol South Omaha, Kaitlin Short of Sokol Tabor, Kenneth Fron of Sokol Tabor and Appa Hargiss of Sokol Ft. Worth.
MOTION made by Br. P. Lebloch to accept these applicants, seconded by Sis. N. Pajeau and passed.
– These names will be given to the executive board via e-mail for approval.
Strategic Planning Committee Plans
– Sis. M. Fiordelis reported that approval was granted to meet with the executive board in August, 2006, in Chicago. The strategic plan will be presented and hopefully approval will be granted to meet with the Board of Governors and Unit Presidents in November. Currently, working on presentation to the executive board.
New Uniform Committee
– Sis. P. Satek reported that a meeting was held with Sis. Satek, Br. B. Kucera, Sis. C. Curran, Sis. J. Hruby and Sis. B. Vondra.
– Discussed socks; a proposal was made for 3″ high ankle length socks without any fold-overs; the Sokol logo would be woven into the sock; the sock would be an acrylic/cotton blend. The BOI would have to determine who the socks would be mandatory for. Further discussion with District Directors and ASO-BOI members will be undertaken via e-mail before an approval vote is held.
– Discussed shorts; committee proposed ash gray color shorts; the word Sokol would be imprinted on the inside waistband of the shorts so when it is folded over the word can be read; there would be an additional Sokol logo design on the front of the left leg. The shorts would not be mandatory, but would be available as an accessory.
– After considerable discussion, it was decided a duffle bag will not be offered at this time.
MOTION made by Sis. J. Kalat to accept the shorts recommendation of the Uniform Committee, seconded by Br. B. Kucera and passed.
Adult Merit Award
– Sis. N. Pajeau reported that there will be another meeting in July and will provide a report at the August meeting.
2007 Sokol USA Slet – Pittsburgh
– Sis. J. LoGiudice will obtain updated rosters for District Directors and Unit Directors to give to Sokol USA when they are ready to distribute Slet materials. The Sokol Times has a tentative Slet schedule posted.
– Br. Matt Kocek is still working on the ASO special number; it should be ready for the next BOI meeting on August 9, 2006.
District Directors’ Conference
– Conference is scheduled for October 20-22, 2006 hosted by Sokol New York. Joe and Donna are looking into Manhattan Hotels. Start time for meeting has yet to be determined.
– Action list was reviewed; an updated copy is posted on the members web site.
– Br. Kalat and Sis. Vondra thanked all BOI members for their service to the BOI.
The next ASO-BOI meeting will be held at the American Sokol office at 122 West 22nd Street, Oak Brook, IL, on Wednesday, August 9, 2006, at 7:30 p.m. There was no further business to discuss.
Meeting adjourned at 9:00 p.m.
Beverly R. Domzalski, Secretary