This meeting opened at 7:30 p.m. by Br. Tom. Pajer at American Sokol Office in Brookfield, Illinois and via teleconference. The Pledge of Allegiance was given. The following BOI members were present: Christina Curran-Wurst, Bev Domzalski, Maryann Fiordelis, Allison Gerber, Chuck Kalat, Jan Kalat, Barb Kucera, Bob Kucera, Juanita LoGiudice, Nancy Pajeau (late), Kandi Pajer, Tom Pajer, Patti Vondra, Howie Wise and Jane Wise. Excused: Barb Vondra, Teddy Polashek and Irena Polashek.
– Happy Birthday: Frank Michalek, 4/20; Chuck Kalat, 4/21.
– Minutes of the March 11, 2009, meeting were reviewed.
MOTION made by Sis. B. Kucera to approve the minutes of the March 11, 2009, American Sokol BOI meeting, seconded by Br. B. Kucera and passed.
– Juanita LoGiudice, postage and supplies, $33.86.
MOTION made by Sis. M. Fiordelis to approve bills, seconded by Br. B. Kucera and passed.
– No new Merit Award application requests this month. Nine requests total from Districts as follows: 3NE, 2C, 2E, 1W, 1S.
– COS 3/2009 Sokol Magazine.
– Director’s Newsletter: April.
– Sokol Canada Annual Report: New Directors: Men’s, Ivo Syptak, 1 Glenholm Ave, Toronto ON M6H 3A8, Canada and Women’s, Svatava Hermankova 50-16th St, Toronto ON M8V 3J8 Canada, firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Irene Mergl: $30 for Slet materials ordered.
– Ceske Listy: Article about Madeleine Albright event in Chicago.
– Nancy Pajeau: various Sokol VHS tapes and DVDs.
– Department of Health & Human Services: Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans Package, www.health.gov/paguidelines.
– Various newsletters.
– Minutes and Updated Action List Posted, www.american-sokol.org/boi/members.
– Correspondence Report for 4/8/09 meeting.
– Council of Higher Education Scholarship Information deadline was April l, 2009.
– Summer Traveling Camp at Sokol Spirit, June 12-14, 2009 registration form.
– 2010 Instructor School Bid deadline changed to June 1, 2009, for this year.
– USA Gymnastics: Shawn Johnson – Dancing with the Stars, tonight 8pm ET vote before or after.
– Donna Sbriglia: Sokol New York successful yoga class; will be continuing the program.
– Br. B. Kucera reviewed the attached Youth Committee Status Report dated April 8, 2009, and Youth Membership Account Transactions.
2009 AMERICAN SOKOL SLET
Plans and progress
– Corrections for the Women’s cal from Sis. C. Curran-Wurst were e-mailed to Yahoo Group and to all contact people at units who indicated participation in the Slet and it will be put into the next Directors’ Newsletter.
– The fitness challenge achievement event has been eliminated. There were less than 25 people entered and most were from Sokol Cedar Rapids. Br. Kalat contacted that unit and they were okay with the decision.
– The group rhythmics event was eliminated because only one team (Sokol Chicagoland) indicated interest on the Participation Survey.
– A new event was added, Tots Skill Evaluation. The skills are posted on the web site. Hopefully, this event will draw more local Tots to the Slet.
– Individual event tickets and spectator cards information should be on the web site.
– The celebrity golf event is an independent event. Registration is being handled through the web site only. There are a limited number of spots available.
– The fun walk has been changed to mimic the “Amazing Race.” People will walk all over the convention center and nearby area around convention center doing small tasks at stations.
– Participant card ID pictures must be digital pictures in separate files with participant’s name and unit. Each unit will put the pictures on a CD to send in with entry fees.
– Entry forms will be mailed by April 10th and posted on the web site. There are 30 pages of forms. A double add on entry fee will be enforced if entries are not turned in by May 15, 2009. The $65 participant fee is now in effect.
– The daily good morning fitness will be lead by a celebrity or fitness person. This event will be run by USAG.
– Bowling is also on web site as a separate registration event.
– Discussed what to wear in parade. Sokols should wear cal uniforms or dress parade uniform. Plain white t-shirts or coaches shirts with blue shorts or pants will be worn by anyone else marching with Sokols.
– Flags and banners from units and districts should be carried in the parade.
– A few entries were received by Br. T. Pajer which have been sent to Sis. L. Laznovsky to review.
– In the bulletin, there was a request for photo footage of unit preparations in getting to the Slet.
Participant Card Applications
– There are over 800 applications received. Only 25 units have sent in participation information. There is a huge number of people doing the finale and marching in the parade.
– ID photos need to be head shots only.
– Omni is full. Some rooms are being dropped and an attempt will be made to fill them.
– Program book information was mailed to each unit last week. Deadline is May 1, 2009.
– Trophy information also went out.
– Trophy design has not yet been chosen.
Slet Action List
– The Slet Action List was reviewed by Sis. J. Kalat; an updated copy is posted on the BOI members web site.
2009 NATIONAL SOKOL SUMMER CAMP – August 2-9, 2009 – DTJ Camp near Cleveland
– The camp meeting scheduled for last week was postponed.
– Staff applications have gone out.
– To dtey, three applications with money have been turned in.
OTHER OLD AND NEW BUSINESS:
– Central District Travelin Summer camp is coming up. Applications have gone out for that.
– Br. T. Pajer will follow-up with New York to set a date for a camp there.
– Sokol Cedar Rapids may join Central District.
– No new requests this month. Nine requests total from Districts as follows: 3NE, 2C, 2E, 1W, 1S.
– Most requests are coming through the web site.
Strategic Planning Committee Progress Report
– Sis. M. Fiordelis reported that the Volunteer Management Team met with the Strategic Plan Committee and the Implementation Team. There are a couple minor changes to be made in their book. There will be a deadline after their Sunday meeting.
– The organizational team met this past weekend in Chicago on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and made good progress.
2009 WSF Fitness Program
– Br. and Sis. Wise received scores from 10 units with a total of 435 participants which is more than last year. Of the 10 units, 7 units participated last year and 3 units were new this year. The 10 units came from 3 Districts. Participants: Sokol Ceska Sin 24, Sokol Chicagoland 9, Sokolice Crete 31, Sokol Detroit 21, Sokol Greater Cleveland 154, Sokol Naperville-Tyrs 53, Sokol St. Louis 34, Sokol S. Omaha 27, Sokol Spirit 9 and Sokol Tabor 86. Scores were double-checked. Pins will be ordered at $.89/pin for 500 pins (ordering 435 would cost $1.29/pin). There will be a different medal design than last year. By the beginning of May, awards should be ready to be mailed out.
2009 WSF Show Program
– The DVD of Central District and Sokol Greater Cleveland numbers have been sent to Br. C. Kalat and he should receive it tomorrow. There are 20 American Sokol numbers being submitted.
– There is a new Instructor School Host Bid Process and Application. The deadline this year for the 2010 School is June 1, 2009.
– Accidental Army Video for sale $25 + shipping, if needed.
– Sis. E. Schnabl did submit articles to BOI and educational directors. Sis. Schnabl does not receive much information from district educational directors.
– American Council on Exercise: www.acefitness.org.
– PE-NEWS: Newsletter: www.pelinks4u.org.
– PE4life: www.pe4life.org.
– The Presidents Challenge: Fitness is Fun Newsletter: www.presidentschallenge.org.
– Health & Fitness: www.exercise.about.com.
– President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports: www.fitness.gov.
– Sign up for newsletters: www.talk.about.com
– Tiffin Mats: www.TiffinMats.com, monthly specials.
– Ten-o/GMR, www.ten-o.com or www.byGMR.com, monthly specials.
– DGS 9.9 www.gymsupply.com, 10% coupon online shopping 6/30/09, code: DGSMEETS.
– Gymnastic Training tips: www.gymnasticstrainingtips.com. Links and Resources.
– American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, www.aahperd.org.
– Information about Brain Fitness, www.brainconnection.com.
– Interesting games video article, www.skillastics.com.
– Improve fitness and nutrition habits, www.pejournal.com.
BOI ACTION LIST
– Action list was reviewed; an updated copy is posted on the BOI members’ web site.
– The next regular ASO-BOI meeting will be held on Wednesday, May 13, 2009, at 7:30 p.m.
There was no further business to discuss.
MOTION made to adjourn.
Meeting adjourned at 8:50 p.m.
Beverly R. Domzalski, Secretary