This meeting opened at 7:30 p.m. by Sis. N. Pajeau at Central District Office in Brookfield, Illinois. The Pledge of Allegiance was given. The following BOI members were present: Bev Domzalski, Maryann Fiordelis, Allison Gerber, Chuck Kalat, Jan Kalat, Barb Kucera, Bob Kucera, Juanita LoGiudice, Nancy Pajeau, Tom Pajer, Irena Polashek, Ted Polashek, Patti Vondra, Howie Wise, Jane Wise, Christina Curran-Wurst. Kandi Pajer and Barb Vondra were excused.
– Happy Belated Birthday: Allison Gerber, 3/11; Jan Kalat, 3/15.
– Happy Birthday: Frank Michalek, 4/20; Chuck Kalat, 4/21.
– Minutes of the February 13, 2008, meeting were reviewed. Correction: Clarification that the New Wing Database of young adult members is the one being updated. Also, under Old and New Business, 2009 American Sokol Slet, “Participants should have free access to most events, ” for clarification should read “Sokol member participants” should have free access to most events.
MOTION made by Br. T. Pajer to approve the minutes of the February 13, 2008, American Sokol – BOI meeting, with corrections, seconded by Br. B. Kucera and passed.
– Juanita LoGiudice, postage, $62.88.
– Lynette Kleisner Gilbert, postage WSF Show DVD to Texas, $16.25
– ASO, WSF Show DVD editing, $27.06 (credit card)
– ASO, postage WSF Show DVD to Prague, $25.00 (credit card)
– Central District, CD Conference Bridge use for February ASO-BOI meeting, $96.03.
– Chuck Kalat, National Summer Camp promo: envelopes, $91.97, DVD duplication, $462.77, postage, $623.20.
– Chuck Kalat, WSF Fitness Program materials, $29.00
– Chuck Kalat, Bridgestone/Firestone Instructor School materials, $20.50.
MOTION made by Br. T. Pajer to approve bills, seconded by Sis. C. Wurst and passed.
– Labels and stationary to Jane Wise for Instructor School promo mailing.
– 2005 Slet CD to Allison Gerber, Mary Cahill, Donna Sbriglia, Irene Mergl – 500 miles.
– 2005 Slet CD and text to Blanche Bidnik, Sokol Little Ferry – 500 miles, $5 check received.
– 8 VHS Patti Komara tapes to Debbie Slovak, Sokol KHB; used Development Conference coupon.
– Letters to National Instructor Handbook owners; corrections available if wanted.
– Paper Copies of Instructor Handbook changes to Bryan Pracko, Howie Wise, Joseph Vrzalik, Mary Cushing, Bud Benak and Peter Lattanzio.
– An order of red Sokol patches to Donna Sbriglia (we have more in stock, if anyone is interested).
– National Instructor School Information packet – Jane Wise.
– National Sokol Summer Camp Information packet w/DVD – Jan Kalat.
– World Sokol Federation Fitness Competition packet of information – Howie Wise.
– Letter and application for a grant from Bridgestone/Firestone to attend 2008 National Instructors School.
– Crown Trophy, 2008 Catalog – Brookfield IL.
– Palos Sports, 2008 Spring Catalog – Alsip IL.
– COS Sokol Magazine, January, February and March, 2008.
– Patti Komara: Packet of Special offers.
– Hodges Badge Co, Gymnastic, Cheer & Dance Award 2008 Catalog (Tots Skills Ribbon advertised).
– Director’s Newsletter: March & April, 2008.
– American Sokol publication: February & March, 2008.
– Sokol Minnesota 125th anniversary edition of “Slovo, ” www.sokolmn.org.
– Canadian Sokol April newsletter; Article “General review of Sokol activities” by Sokol Toronto.
– Swiss Turner Gymnastic Invitational/Sokol Ceska Sin, April 27, 2008; competition site in Berea, Ohio.
– Sokol Times: Sokol Woodlands in Barryville NY seeks Summer help; send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Maryann Fiordelis, new cell phone: 248:767-7073.
– Rome Milan, cell phone: 817-371-1944.
– Lori Laznovsky new address: 3210 Cottonwood Dr, Flower Mound TX 75028.
– Teddy Polashek has joined American Sokol BOI. email@example.com.
– Sokol KHB Men’s Director, Thomas Betick, new address: PO BOX 1333, Ennis TX 75120.
– Howie Wise sent Men’s Sneak Peek 2009-2012 routines.
– Bud Benak: Bo Benak received 4th selection to the Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll at Nebraska University; grade point 3.0 +. He is an industrial tech major. www.huskers.com Click “Teams”, “(M)Gymnastics”, “Archives”, “ 2-14-08”.
– Stephen Banjak looking to teach the 2009 cals at their weekend retreat in Sokol Woodlands, 8/1-3/08.
– Chuck Kalat’s bridge no longer accessible; now call 616-712-8000 conference ID 1043332#.
– Tom Pajer, Program Team Leader, letter requesting input on a fitness class program; do we know a certified fitness trainer?
– 2008 Summer Folk Dance Workshop in Prague (8/9-15/2008), 8/15-20/2008, Folklore Festival in Pisek, http//www.dvorana.cz/dance/index.html
– Creativity Workshops, http://www.coursesandworkshops.com.
– Minutes and updated Action List posted, www.american-sokol.org/boi/members.
– Updated rosters sent to yahoo group.
– Interesting websites; forwarded to Yahoo group: www.Ballyfitness.com, www.ballynutrition.com, http://health.usnews.com, www.thebestlife.com, www.womenshealth.gov, www.usnews.com, www.fitfuture.org.
– Youth Committee Status Report dated April 9, 2008, is attached.
– Breakdown of income:
Passport sales to Sokol Spirit, $10.00.
Membership: Naperville Tyrs ($15), New York ($1, 925), partial payment from West ($250), St. Louis ($10), Yukon ($25), Milwaukee ($100), Omaha ($140), Zizka ($70), KHB ($40) and SCG ($25).
Total income: $2, 660.
– Breakdown of expenses:
Office Depot, copying and folding February newsletter, $99.86.
Office Depot, membership supplies, $26.68.
Postage: Membership registration ($246.00), February newsletter ($738.00), Membership registration ($36.90), prize mailing of last contest ($13.62).
Total expenses: $1, 651.26.
2008 AMERICAN SOKOL NATIONAL INSTRUCTORS SCHOOL – July 7-21, 2008, Sokol Greater Cleveland
– Sis. J. Wise reminded everyone that the deadline for the Bridgestone/Firestone scholarship entries is April 15, 2008 and should be directed to Mary Cushing (address on form).
– Sis. Wise sent out to the Unit and District Directors and all the outside organizations the application process that has letters and all explanations and forms (9-10 pages). Deadline is May 15, 2008; there is another deadline of June 1, 2008; and another of June 15, 2008. The first deadline gives the lowest cost ($275).
– Sis. M. Cushing has been contacting some of the instructors for commitments.
2008 NATIONAL SOKOL SUMMER CAMP – July 27-August 3, 2008, Sokol St. Louis Camp
– Sis. Kalat received no written report from Sis. L. Laznovsky.
– Money was transferred to the camp account and Sis. Laznovsky was going to purchase the Six Flags tickets.
– Five staff members applied; and 2 counselors, possibly a third.
– Br. Kalat read an e-mail from Sis. Laznovsky. A week long project was selected to work on during camp as well as all the other activities for the week. Everyone at the meeting was assigned homework to further develop individual activities. A few activities were tested in Sis. Laznovsky’s backyard. Some staff members will arrive early for camp for set-up, others will travel with campers as chaperones. Six Flags will be the outing for the week. There will be a photo scavenger hunt activity.
– Sis. C. Wurst followed up with questions regarding proposed changes for future camps regarding the application process. (1) That all information and application for National Camp be mailed and/or e-mailed to Unit Directors. Application forms were mailed to the youth. Application is not on web site with the early deadline of May 15. (2) Requested that a Director’s signature line added to the form. It is very difficult to track applications for District reporting and travel arrangements and to apply any Conference coupons accordingly when the application and fee is sent directly to the Camp Directors. (Br. Kalat noted that this item was discussed with the Camp Directors and this will not be done.) (3) Can contest or scholarship information pertaining to the camps be mailed and/or e-mailed to the directors separate from the newsletters? Also, have Directors sign off on any contest entries so we know who has applied for them, as they do for the American Sokol Merit Award, Bohemian Cemetery Award and new Bridgestone/Firestone scholarship.
– Sis. Wurst asked if the information for the camps and school can be posted on the home page instead of parents looking for information through the Sokol Kids page.
NATIONAL EDUCATIONAL DIRECTOR REPORT
– Sis. E. Schnabl sent information to be shared with the BOI. Br. Kalat did not have the information available at this time. Sis. J. LoGiudice highlighted topics from Sis. Schnabl’s information, which included history of the Federation of Slavic Sokol, safety tips, Masaryk statues were erected in Cedar Rapids, IA in 1999 and in Washington DC in 2002. Br. Kalat does include some of Sis. Schnabl’s information in the Directors’ Newsletter.
– Sis. J. Wise noted that the Winter Slet report was given last month.
– Br. T. Polashek talked about a camping trip being scheduled for 9/5-7/2008 at Warren Dunes in Michigan. Br. C. Kalat requested information for the newsletter. It was noted that many Units hold Sokol season registration on or about September 5, 2008. The camp is targeted for adults, age 18+ members, but families may also attend.
OTHER OLD AND NEW BUSINESS:
Bridgestone/Firestone Grant for Instructors School
– Bridgestone/Firestone scholarship application deadline is April 15, 2008. There are six scholarships. Unit Directors should have the applications and should be providing them to possible students.
2009 American Sokol Slet – June 22 to June 28, 2009
– No meeting since the last BOI meeting.
– Br. Kalat received the training DVD of the Jr./Sr. aerobic calisthenics.
– Br. T. Pajer has transferred the All Sokol special number to DVD so it can be viewed.
– Southern District is testing the children’s calisthenics and the Sr. II calisthenics. Central District is testing the regular adult cal.
– Minimum age for competitions is age 6.
– Br. Kalat, Sis. B. Vondra, the assistants and Br. and Sis. Wise will get together to discuss opening up events to outsiders and a tentative Slet Activity schedule.
– Calisthenics competition part always goes out ahead of time.
– General Gymnastics has signed on; there is an International Rhythmic Competition; there is a possibility of archery events.
– USAG is advertising 2009 Sokol festival at www.usa-gymnastics.org/gg.
– There is a posting on the You Tube web site.
– Marsha’s Sportswear will be vendor for souvenirs; www.marshassportswear.com.
– Slet web site is www.slet2009.com.
WSF “Show” Program/Contest
– The Sokol Tabor junior girls special number was submitted and mailed last week. Received an e-mail that it has been received; it will be forwarded to Sis. Zitna.
WSF “Fitness” Program/Contest
– Everything has been mailed out. Br. Kalat feels it is important that American Sokol participate in this event.
– Six applications have been sent out: 4 to Central District, 1 to Eastern District and 1 to Western District.
Strategic Planning Committee Report
– Sis. M. Fiordelis is proceeding with a background check on the executive director.
– Database team is currently on hold until executive director is on board.
– Instructor Standards team is putting final touches on guidelines; should go out to National Directors soon.
– Volunteer Management team is putting together their resource book.
– Finance team is putting together a resource book and the results of their two surveys.
– Membership team is having some problems getting started.
– Implementation team has had two meetings. No representatives from Northeastern District nor Western District.
– Br. Pajer spoke about the Program team. Team is going to make sure exercises are proper exercises. Will be looking for a fitness professional to hire on an annual basis; not on a full-time basis; just to review exercises for stretching, cooling down, and working on all the different muscle groups.
– Central District has 4 participants signed up for the National Traveling Camp weekend in Central District; May 17, 2008 is deadline for registration.
– Central District weekend instructors’ school in St. Louis will be canceled because there are too many events happening too close together in time.
– District Directors’ Conference and Unit Presidents’ Conference is scheduled for October 17-19, 2008 in Omaha, NE.
– Sokol Chicagoland was televised on WGN TV morning news 2/27 and posted on their website.
– “USA Gymnastics: Behind the Team” www.attblueroom.com/teamusa.
– Gymnastics televised www.nbc.com
– TV schedule of gymnastics: www.usa-gymnastics.org/events/events_home.
– 2008 Beijing Summer Olympic Games www.nbcolympics.com.
– AAU 2008 Junior Olympic Games: Detroit MI area July 23-Aug 2, 2008.
– Flyer: Meet Executive Director May 10th Sokol Spirit.
– Donated to our Library Jan Waldauf”s book “Sokol male dejiny velke myslenky”. Sis. I. Polashek talked about this book which tells how Sokol was founded and what happened from that time until 1938.
– Rhythmic JO Optional Championships/Future Stars Testing 4/24-27 Deefield IL.
– American Council on Exercise: www.acefitness.org.
– PE-NEWS: Newsletter: www.pelinks4u.org.
– PE4life: www.pe4life.org.
– The Presidents Challenge: Fitness is Fun Newsletter: www.presidentschallenge.org.
– Health & Fitness: www.exercise.about.com.
– President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports: www.fitness.gov.
– Sign up for newsletters: www.talk.about.com
– Tiffin Mats: www.TiffinMats.com, monthly specials.
– Gymnastic Training tips: www.gymnasticstrainingtips.com. Links and Resources.
– Action list was reviewed; an updated copy is posted on the BOI members’ web site.
– The next regular ASO-BOI meeting will be held on Wednesday, May 14, 2008, at 7:30 p.m. There was no further business to discuss.
MOTION made to adjourn.
Meeting adjourned at 8:45 p.m.
Beverly R. Domzalski, Secretary