This meeting opened at 7:30 p.m. by Sis. B. Vondra at American Sokol Office in Brookfield, Illinois and via teleconference. The Pledge of Allegiance was given. The following BOI members were present: Mary Cushing, Bev Domzalski, Kevin Fitzpatrick, Allison Gerber, Chuck Kalat, Jan Kalat, Bob Kucera, Lori Laznovsky, Juanita LoGiudice, Nancy Pajeau, Kandi Pajer, Tom Pajer, Irena Polashek, Donna Sbriglia, Barb Vondra, Howie Wise, Jane Wise, Christina Curran-Wurst. Barb Kucera, Teddy Polashek and Patti Vondra were excused.
– Happy Belated Birthday: Ed Schnabl, 8/3; Peter Lattanzio, 8/3.
– Happy Anniversary: Chuck and Jan Kalat, 8/26; Bob and Barb Kucera, 8/26.
– Happy Belated Anniversary: Tom and Kandi Pajer, 7/19; Ed and EllenJeanne Schnabl, 7/21; Maryann and Carl Fiordelis, 8/9; and Tom and Christina Wurst, 8/17.
– Happy Labor Day!
– Thank you to Nancy Pajeau for past year as 1st Assistant.
– Welcome to Maryann Fiordelis as this year’s 1st Assistant.
– Sis. B. Vondra welcomed everyone back for another exciting year of American Sokol BOI.
– 2008-2009 members of the Men’s BOI: Chuck Kalat, Bob Kucera and Tom Pajer (assistants), Bud Benak, Buddy Benak, Paul Lebloch, Frank Michalek, Jerry Milan, Ed Schnabl, Peter Lattanzio, Kevin Fitzpatrick, John Bazata and Teddy Polashek.
– Men’s District Directors: Bob Kucera, Ron Jaros, Howie Wise, Rich Miller, Rome Milan and Allison Gerber.
2008-2009 members of the Women’s BOI: Barb Vondra, Maryann Fiordelis and Janet Kalat (assistants), Juanita LoGiudice (office secretary), Bev Domzalski (recording secretary), Sandy Benak, Lynn Conrad, Christina Curran-Wurst, Mary Cushing, Kandi Pajer, Irena Polashek, Ellen JeanneSchnabl, Patti Vondra and Jane Wise.
– Women’s District Directors: Barb Kucera, Donna Sbriglia, Maryann Fiordelis, Lynn Miller, Lori Laznovsky and Allison Gerber.
– Br. Kalat noted that everyone gets one vote only; at Conference, votes are different
– Minutes of the June 11, 2008, meeting were reviewed.
MOTION made by Br. T. Pajer to approve the minutes of the June 11, 2008, American Sokol – BOI meeting, seconded by Br. B. Kucera and passed.
– Jane Wise, WSF fitness program awards distribution, $31.01.
– Jane Wise, WSF awards, $509.85.
– Chuck Kalat, USAG Professional Membership, $97.00 (on credit card).
– Chuck Kalat, JO Program Materials, $73.00 (on credit card).
– Lynette Gilbert, professional conversion of two PAL DVDs, $70.00.
– Barb Vondra, USAG membership, $97.00 (on credit card).
– Barb Vondra and Chuck Kalat, USAG background check, amounts will be provided at next meeting.
MOTION made by Br. T. Pajer to approve bills, seconded by Sis. C. Curran and passed.
– 2008-2009 Merit Award winners’ letters and checks to Paige Vachata, Anna Mangia, Amelia Makowski and Kelsey Rhoades.
– Letters to District Directors and Presidents, National Presidents and Directors, Unit Directors and President of Merit Award winners.
– Letters of invitation to join American Sokol National Women’s BOI per Barb Vondra.
– Letters of membership on the Board to District Directors.
– Ron Jaros, large order for BOI materials, filled and sent.
– Sokol Times, Saddle Up ad.
– August Director’s Newsletter
– COS Sokol Publication, 6-7/2008.
– Kelsie Soneson, received school transcript.
– American Sokol Publication, June 2008.
– Lynette Gilbert, burned 6 copies of the WSF DVDs, one sent to C. Kalat.
– Thank you card from Raymond Vesely (Bev Domzalski’s dad) family for funeral floral arrangement.
– WSF, 2 PAL DVDs of special numbers and instructions.
– Sokol San Francisco Newsletter; Ivanka Linhart/Jarka Dusatko Women’s Directors; Peter Linhart/Paul Burda Men’s Directors.
– Patti Komara, workshop August 10, 2008, Dyer, IN.
– Sports Health 2008 Catalogs.
– Ethna Flaherty, Erin’s electronic school transcript.
– Ron Jaros, Ed Jaros, Educational Director and Sokol Philadelphia Director, new e-mail: email@example.com.
– Norma Zabka, Sokol New York, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Nadia Leary address correction, 118 Stonefield Drive, Berea, OH 44017.
– Pat Satek, e-mail change to email@example.com.
– Tom Pajer sent invitations to Ron Jaros, Donna Sbriglio, Buddy Benak to sign-up on Yahoo page.
– Allison Gerber, Sokol Cedar Rapids Flood Damage report; article from www.radio.cz, Sokol New York.
– Tom Pajer, WII Fit e-mails.
– Tyson Fitness Challenge Kit.
– Nancy Imbrone new address, 916 Lawnview Avenue, Shoreview, MN 55126, www.nbcolympics.com.
– Minutes and updated Action List posted, www.american-sokol.org/boi/members.
– Youth Committee Status Report dated August 13, 2008, is attached.
– Breakdown of income of $50 is $40 from Sokol Houston for 8 members, $5 from St. Louis for an additional member and $5 for the first 2008-2009 member from Cedar Rapids.
– Concerning delinquent payments for 2007-2008, Sokols Baltimore and Little Ferry did not send names or fees for youth. Br. Pajer asked whether we are collecting double from these units for this year or are we letting it go. Br. Pajer’s concern is that units may only pay for youth members during a Slet year. Districts should not allow the youth from these units to participate in a District Slet; Sis. D. Sbriglia confirmed that these units did not.
– Discussion may be held at Directors Conference regarding youth membership issues.
2008 AMERICAN SOKOL NATIONAL INSTRUCTORS SCHOOL – July 7-21, 2008, Sokol Greater Cleveland
– Bill: $225.00 invoice for 15 manuals (included on written report).
– Sis. M. Cushing read report which will be provided to the ASO office along with other materials, 8×10 photos and DVD.
– Sis. Cushing added that the student numbers were about 10 down from last year and attributes this to the economy and, possibly, because the Course started on the Monday of 4th of July weekend.
– Sis. J. Wise added that she and Howie put together a project for the kids. Over 300 pictures were taken during the two weeks of the school and they were put together on a DVD. At the end of the DVD there is an hour of the graduation program. Each student was mailed a copy of the DVD and the ASO office will be getting a copy.
– Sis. J. Wise indicated this year’s group of students were well behaved and got along well with each other. It was a pleasure to have them for the two weeks.
2008 NATIONAL SOKOL SUMMER CAMP – July 27-August 3, 2008, Sokol St. Louis Camp
– Sis. Lori Laznovsky read report which will be provided to the ASO office.
– The Camp Committee is always looking for new places to hold camp. Anyone with a possible lead to a camp should contact Sis. Lori Laznovsky.
– Sis. J. LoGiudice noted she will be in Yorkville, IL and will stop by the PNA Camp to see if ASO might be able to use it.
2009 AMERICAN SLET
– Attached is a copy of the BOI Report to Slet Committee for their meeting on August 10, 2008. The BOI’s main focus is to get the Slet manual ready to go.
– There is still no information on bowling activities.
– The schedule is still tentative.
– Sis. L. Laznovsky met with Greg Harris and a representative from USA Gymnastics this past weekend. They discussed collaborative efforts that will be taking place next year and spent time at the Convention Center looking at the space and allocating space. Also, discussed what events we will be doing together, opening ceremonies, sharing audiences, credentials system so everyone can see everything and how to get Sokol instructors involved in clinics that will take place.
– Br. C. Kalat advised everyone to be aware that any schedules currently in print are “tentative” at this point.
– The hotel has double rooms available. Currently, the hotel is about 50% full. A secondary hotel is currently being looked into.
– All activities will be held at the Convention Center with the exception of a social that will be held in the stockyards, the bowling tournament, the golf tournament and the Slet program, which will be at Farrington Field. Transportation will be provided to those locations. With your Slet credentials, you will be able to ride the public transportation for free. Downtown has many restaurants within walking distance of the Convention Center. There will be hospitality rooms for coaches, BOI and other administrative people at the hotel and Convention Center.
– Sis. Laznovsky has available a power point presentation to show venues, general outline of Ft. Worth, general information in a different format than in bulletins, along with maps of downtown Ft. Worth, postcards and pins and other miscellaneous. If anyone wants materials to give out to their members/classes, contact Sis. Laznovsky.
– There is a train station in downtown Ft. Worth, which is on the opposite side of the Convention Center from the hotel and is within walking distance to the hotel.
– Br. T. Pajer will be in Austin, Texas, on Labor Day weekend to give a seminar on the “Let Loose” number.
– The Slet manual will consist of a text CD, an audio CD and a DVD of the cal, which should be going out by the end of September, 2008. The USAG routines will not be included in the manual. Anyone doing USAG levels of competition will have to purchase USAG materials from USAG. Women’s routines have not changed and are still in the old manuals from the Slets of the last 3 or 4 years. Copies of all changes will be in the new manual. Men’s routines will have to be purchased from USAG; the cost is $73.00, including postage. USAG provides a text CD and a DVD of all the men’s routines. The Slet manual will have instructions on how to purchase that.
– The 16-point scoring system will be utilized for the men’s competition; the judges will be USAG judges. The women’s scoring will not change.
– Currently, Br. C. Kalat is in possession of the ASO’s purchased copy of the USAG routines.
– The committee is working on getting a sponsorship; no decision made yet. Greg Harris is assisting the committee on a presentation for a sponsor meeting.
– Slet letterhead was ordered 8/12/08.
2008 BOI CONFERENCE AND DISTRICT DIRECTORS CONFERENCE
– Conference will be held in Omaha, Nebraska on 10/17-19/08. The 17th is the DD meeting; the 18th and 19th is the BOI Development Conference. All reports need to be submitted electronically to Juanita LoGiudice by September 15, 2008. Notices have gone out on Yahoo Group. Attendance is due to Maryann Fiordelis by Friday, August 15, 2008.
– One full track will be all Slet matters. You can learn cals and routines, along with other coaching and development sessions. BOI encourages all coaches and instructors to come for no other purpose than to learn the calisthenics in October.
– A tentative topic list should be available for the September Directors Newsletter.
– A Presidents’ Conference is scheduled for this same weekend in Omaha, Nebraska.
– There is a Czech Republic anniversary celebration that same weekend that some Sokol members will be attending.
– Sis. J. LoGiudice blocked rooms for Thursday, Friday and Saturday at the Comfort Inn at the Zoo, for $85.00 per night with tax and a deluxe continental breakfast.
– There will be a school board meeting on Thursday afternoon and/or evening.
– Airline reservations should be booked at least 21 days prior to conference for lowest rates.
– Any last minute ideas or topics for the conference should be sent to Chuck Kalat or Barb Vondra.
– There is nothing new to report. Currently, the New Wing coordinators are uninspired to do anything and the database is on their list to do, but they are not sure what it is going to be used for, so they are not putting in the effort to compile a list. They need a purpose in order to continue.
– The New Wing will be asked if there is something they want to do at the Directors’ Conference.
OTHER OLD AND NEW BUSINESS:
Central District Traveling Summer Camp – June, 2008
– Br. T. Pajer reported that the camp took place in the middle of June, 2008. Kevin Fitzparick did a lot of pre-planning for the camp and set up the meetings with the staff to coordinate the activities for the weekend. He could not attend the camp, so this was his responsibility prior to the camp. Maria Breidenbach, Caitlin Short, Stacey Domzalski and Matt Petkus were the staff members. Ally Mangia assisted as a trainee (she has attended this camp in the past). Activities took place from Friday night until Sunday noon. Central District, as camp host, gave great support to the camp, organized registration and provided lodging and food. The kids had a great time. Activities included obstacle courses, water games outside and were kept busy all the time. Many good comments were heard.
– The option is given to 6 and 7 year olds whether to go home or stay overnight. Everyone was encouraged to stay and they did. There were a few non-Sokol members who attended; the camp works well as a marketing tool.
– Pictures were taken and put on a DVD to music and was given to the kids before they left. Maria Breidenbach spent a lot of time working on this project. The whole staff did a good job. The kitchen staff also received a DVD and Sis. N. Pajeau will give hers to the ASO office for its records.
– The objectives of the traveling camp was to run this camp every weekend of the summer and have it as a part-time job for the older juniors and young seniors; however, that’s not working out as only one weekend camp is held every summer. More districts/units need to support this camp.
– Feedback was requested as to why other districts do not participate in this program. Sis. Wise feels Sokol Greater Cleveland could do this sort of camp themselves rather than use the American Sokol camp staff and one weekend out of the year is not something that would maintain the kids throughout the year. Sokol Greater Cleveland holds summer tumbling classes to keep interest in their gym. Sokol Greater Cleveland did hold a family day for 9 hours of activities in their gym.
2007 Merit Award Transcript Status
– Sis B. Kucera informed Sis. B. Vondra that all checks went out and signed confirmations have been returned.
– All transcripts are in from last year’s winners.
2008 Family Camp at the Warren Dunes, September 7-9, 2008
– Sis. J. Hruby is currently coordinating this program while Br. T. Polashek is out-of-town. Sis. B. Vondra will find out how many reservations have been made for the camp to date.
WSF “Show” Program
– Br. C. Kalat received back the compilation DVD, which had to be converted to U.S. standards. The only organizations that participated were the COS, ASO and Slovakia. There are about 15 or 16 different numbers on the DVD. It is up to the BOI to view the DVD and choose the best in four or five different categories. The most votes win. Deadline to respond is September 25, 2008. Br. T. Pajer is considering holding a viewing at his house. All information after viewing should be submitted to Br. Kalat by September 8, 2008. Sis. J. LoGiudice will send a copy of the DVD to Br. and Sis. Wise tonight.
Strategic Planning Committee Progress Report
– Instructors Standards Committee will be making a presentation to the Strategic Plan Task Force on Sunday.
– National Gymnastic Day is September 13, 2008.
– Kerri Strug Gymnastic Clinic/Workshop is being held by Sokol Chicagoland at Elite Sports Complex on September 7, 2008.
– Sis. Allison Gerber thanked everyone for all the cards, thoughts and money sent to Sokol Cedar Rapids. Sokol Cedar Rapids has been offered some space at a gym club in town, so they will hold classes there on Saturdays and Wednesday sharing their facilities. They will not take any new students this year. A picnic will be held on August 24, 2008. The Czech Consulate from Washington DC is coming on August 20, 2008, to visit the Sokol gym and the Czech Museum. There will be a presentation from the WFLA on August 21, 2008. Everything is coming along slowly. The building may be used as a rental facility or museum in the future, but Sokol has outgrown that facility for gymnastics classes and is looking to purchase another space on the southwest side of Cedar Rapids which has about 23, 000 square feet of room with lots of potential.
– Sis. I. Polashek noted that the Czech Sokol organization has about 5 or 6 representatives in Beijing for the Olympics.
– American Council on Exercise: www.acefitness.org.
– PE-NEWS: Newsletter: www.pelinks4u.org.
– PE4life: www.pe4life.org.
– The Presidents Challenge: Fitness is Fun Newsletter: www.presidentschallenge.org.
– Health & Fitness: www.exercise.about.com.
– President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports: www.fitness.gov.
– Sign up for newsletters: www.talk.about.com
– Tiffin Mats: www.TiffinMats.com, monthly specials.
– Gymnastic Training tips: www.gymnasticstrainingtips.com. Links and Resources.
BOI ACTION LIST
– Action list was reviewed; an updated copy is posted on the BOI members’ web site.
– The Slet Action List will be updated and read at the next meeting.
– The next regular ASO-BOI meeting will be held on Wednesday, September 10, 2008, at 7:30 p.m. There was no further business to discuss.
MOTION made to adjourn.
Meeting adjourned at 9:20 p.m.
Beverly R. Domzalski, Secretary