This meeting opened at 7:30 p.m. by Br. B. Kucera at American Sokol Office in Brookfield, Illinois and via teleconference. The Pledge of Allegiance was given. The following BOI members were present: Christina Curran-Wurst, Bev Domzalski, Maryann Fiordelis, Allison Gerber, Chuck Kalat, Jan Kalat, Barb Kucera, Bob Kucera, Lori Laznovsky, Juanita LoGiudice, Frank Michalek, Nancy Pajeau (late), Tom Pajer, Irena Polashek (late), Barb Vondra (late), Howie Wise and Jane Wise. Excused: Kandi Pajer, Teddy Polashek and Patti Vondra.
– Happy Birthday: Bud Benak, 2/11; Mary Cushing, 2/14; Christina Curran-Wurst, 2/16; Patti Vondra, 2/25.
– Get Well! Bud Benak (hospital); Ed Schnabl (hip surgery).
– Minutes of the January 14, 2009, meeting were reviewed.
MOTION made by Br. T. Pajer to approve the minutes of the January 14, 2009, American Sokol BOI meeting, seconded by Sis. M. Fiordelis and passed.
– Juanita LoGiudice, office supplies and postage, $44.99.
MOTION made by Br. T. Pajer to approve bills, seconded by Sis. C. Curran-Wurst and passed.
– Request for Merit Award Application.
– COS Sokol Magazine, 1/2009.
– February Director’s Newsletter.
– November/December, 2008 and January, 2009 American Sokol Publication.
– Slovak Catholic Falcon January 14, 2009 publication, article “The Sokol Movement & Gymnastics” from American Sokol publication.
– Canadian Sokol Newsletter 2/09 – Article “A memorable Sokol Slet held seventy years ago, ” July 2, 1939 Triboro Stadium on Randall’s Island, NY. Dr Edward Benes attended – Sokol USA
– Various newsletters.
– Minutes and updated Action List posted, www.american-sokol.org/boi/members.
– Correspondence Report for 2/11/09 meeting.
– Barb V: USA Gymnastics Member Service News, Developing Lesson Plans, Benefits of Memberships, Safety Matters, 2009 Regional Congresses Listing www.usa-gymnastics.org/ .
– Fitness is Fun – President’s Challenge Jan 2009 newsletter.
– Sokol Washington DC Invitation 31st Annual BACA CUP Int’l “All Ages” Ski Race, Feb 14th Blue Knob Ski Resort Claysburg PA www.bacacup.com.
– Sokol USA Rich & Chris Yatchyshyn new email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Patricia Satek new wk email: Patricia.Satek@HMHPUB.com.
– Jerry Milan: New Ft Worth Directors: Women, Sharon Molina, 6328 Big Bend Trl, Ft Worth TX 76135; Men, Wade Garrett, 3805 Hawkview Dr Ft Worth TX 76179 rwgarrett@Gmail.com.
– February 2009 newsletter www.pelinks4u.org/ .
– www.Acefitness.org/ Click “New Exercise Library”
– Eva Pilik: Sokol LA http://www.radio.cz/en/article/112294 Go to EVENTS & PROJECTS,
Click “Czechs in NY” then Click “Some highlights of our Czechs in NY series 12/26/08, ” Articles about Norma Zabka, Irene Mergl & Sokol NY, Jan 09 publication.
– Chuck Kalat: Remove work e-mail Chuck.Kalat@aastra.com, phone/469-365-3228, fax/469-365-3071.
– Br. B. Kucera reviewed the attached Youth Committee Status Report dated February 11, 2009.
– Expense breakdown: consolation prizes, $306.00; and prize mailings for coloring contest, $35.44.
– Received a large dollar amount from Sokol Ft. Worth, but is still waiting for names to put into database.
– Sokol New York has overpaid by $200, so they will be issued a refund.
– There are still a few units who have not reported youth membership: Sokols Milwaukee, Minnesota, Zizka Dallas, Ft. Worth, Houston and Corpus Christi.
2009 AMERICAN SOKOL SLET
Plans and progress
– Correspondence has been received by groups interested in joining our Festival.
– Currently, talking to a special needs group who may join us.
– A lot of interest is coming in from exhibitors.
– There is no combined organization schedule yet. One will be coming out. Once Sokol surveys are received a time schedule can be put on events.
– Any questions about the Slet should be directed to Br. C. Kalat.
– Most current information is posted on the Slet web site.
– Sis. Laznovsky will check with the committee on whether the American Sokol office should have participant tickets available for purchase. It will benefit the Sokol organization to pre-purchase tickets prior to doing so in Texas. Any tickets purchased in Texas, the cost will be divided between Sokol and USAG.
– The Slet Action List was reviewed; an updated copy is posted on the BOI members web site.
– A sponsorship brochure is being printed, which will go to businesses, groups and organizations.
– There will be a video montage that will be playing.
– A communication will go out next month asking for gym clubs and Sokol units to send in still pictures digitally and videos digitally to put in the montage. It will be everyone’s preparations in getting to Ft. Worth.
– There will be 3 USAG, 3 PAGU and 3 ASO special numbers, including one from the COS.
– The ASO will have 2 special numbers and 1 sports number showing sporting events, i.e. basketball, volleyball, bowling, etc. that is being offered during Slet. Sis. Laznovsky and Br. Pajer will choose 2 special numbers for Sokol. There will be a parade of the clubs that will be participating, but it will only be one or two members of each club.
– The mayor of Ft. Worth will give a short welcome at the beginning and there will be limited talking/speeches during the opening ceremony.
– There will also be a pre-show prior to showtime.
– Opening ceremonies will be on Tuesday night 6/23/09 at the arena in the Ft. Worth Convention Center.
– The floor will be set up with a 40 x 60 floor mat and a 40 x 60 hard floor.
– So far, four surveys have been returned (making it about 100 people attending). The deadline for surveys is 2/15/09. The four were from Sokol Detroit, Sokol Tabor, Sokol Minnesota and Sokol Chicagoland.
2009 NATIONAL SOKOL SUMMER CAMP – August 2-9, 2009 – DTJ Camp near Cleveland
– Staff members, Lori Laznovsky, Tom Pajer, Maria Briedenbach, Matt Carlozzi and Peter Lattanzio held a meeting in the Chicago area to plan the 2009 camp. DTJ Camp is a new site for camp. There is a lake on the premises. This is an opportunity for new projects and events. Staff members’ and counselors’ applications will be considered if anyone is interested.
– The committee is considering doing a facebook presentation about the camp.
– A mailing will go out, but not a DVD, to the age appropriate youth members.
2009 NATIONAL INSTRUCTOR SCHOOL
– Br. T. Pajer heard from Sokol Spirit that they were going to put in a bid for the use of their facility, but nothing has been sent yet. No other Central District facility has come forward with an offer.
OTHER OLD AND NEW BUSINESS:
Strategic Planning Committee Progress Report
– Sis. M. Fiordelis reported that the Membership Team is doing a presentation with the SPTF next Tuesday.
– The Organizational Development Team had their first meeting and will meet again tomorrow.
– The Implementation Team continues to meet every other week and they are finalizing their first survey that is going to go out regarding communication around the core programs.
– The Volunteer Management and Finance Teams are still working on their book.
2009 WSF Fitness Program
– Everything has been mailed out. Br. and Sis. Wise are awaiting return of results. Results are due by 4/1/2009.
2009 WSF Show Program
– Br. C. Kalat put an announcement in the Directors Newsletter. This year ASO will be turning in a larger amount of special numbers.
2009 District Directors Conference – Detroit – October 9-11, 2009
– Sis. M. Fiordelis has been working with Br. L. Laznovsky and Br. G. Masek regarding the Presidents’ Conference.
– At the last ASO Executive Board meeting, there was a discussion about a minor cash flow problem in the organization and there was talk about limiting any conferences that are not self-sustaining. The Directors’ Conference is budgeted and but is not self-sustaining.
– American Council on Exercise: www.acefitness.org.
– PE-NEWS: Newsletter: www.pelinks4u.org.
– PE4life: www.pe4life.org.
– The Presidents Challenge: Fitness is Fun Newsletter: www.presidentschallenge.org.
– Health & Fitness: www.exercise.about.com.
– President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports: www.fitness.gov.
– Sign up for newsletters: www.talk.about.com
– Tiffin Mats: www.TiffinMats.com, monthly specials.
– Ten-o/GMR, www.ten-o.com or www.byGMR.com, monthly specials.
– DGS 9.9 www.gymsupply.com, 10% coupon online shopping 6/30/09, code: DGSMEETS.
– Gymnastic Training tips: www.gymnasticstrainingtips.com. Links and Resources.
– American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, www.aahperd.org.
– Information about Brain Fitness, www.brainconnection.com.
– Interesting games video article, www.skillastics.com.
– Improve fitness and nutrition habits, www.pejournal.com.
BOI ACTION LIST
– Action list was reviewed; an updated copy is posted on the BOI members’ web site.
– The next regular ASO-BOI meeting will be held on Wednesday, March 11, 2009, at 7:30 p.m.
There was no further business to discuss.
MOTION made to adjourn.
Meeting adjourned at 8:55 p.m.
Beverly R. Domzalski, Secretary