This meeting opened at 7:30 p.m. by Sis. B. Vondra at American Sokol Office in Brookfield, Illinois and via teleconference. The Pledge of Allegiance was given. The following BOI members were present: Mary Cushing, Bev Domzalski, Maryann Fiordelis, Allison Gerber, Chuck Kalat, Jan Kalat, Barb Kucera, Bob Kucera, Juanita LoGiudice, Nancy Pajeau (late), Kandi Pajer, Tom Pajer, Irena Polashek (late), Ted Polashek (late), Barb Vondra, Howie Wise and Jane Wise. Excused: John Bazata, Patti Vondra, Christina Curran-Wurst and Lori Laznovsky.
Br. C. Kalat congratulated Sokol Tabor on their WSF award in the sport team high level physical fitness category (there were 3 groups in this category). Also, Kandi Pajer of Sokol Spirit and Judy Schultz Holdecker from Sokol St. Louis tied for second in the WSF fitness testing. Kandi and Judy did receive a certificate and a 2006 Prague Slet Souvenir Book. There were 270 ASO participants of the 368 from ASO, COS and Sokol Serbia.
– Happy Belated Birthday: Jerry Milan, 12/9; Barb Kucera, 1/1.
– Happy Birthday: Rome Milan, 1/29.
– Congratulations Babi Mary Cushing on Grandson Jack, 11/26/08, 7 lbs. 15 oz., 20.5” (Blair and Kelly Panackia).
– Minutes of the November 12, 2008, meeting were reviewed.
MOTION made by Br. T. Pajer to approve the minutes of the November 12, 2008, American Sokol BOI meeting, seconded by Br. B. Kucera and passed.
– Tom Pajer, Skill Cards Supplies and Printing, $394.20.
– Chuck Kalat, AAHPERD 2 year membership, $245.00.
– Chuck Kalat, Postage mailing WSF Recognition Awards, $10.62.
– Jane Wise, Postage & envelopes WSF 2009 Physical Fitness Program, $126.63.
– Bob Kucera, youth membership envelopes, $24.11.
MOTION made by Sis. M. Fiordelis to approve bills, seconded by Sis. B. Kucera and passed.
– Handbook Updates to National, District, Unit Directors and BOI members
– New BOI Handbooks to Kevin Fitzpatrick, Peter Lattanzio and Ted Polashek.
– Thank you letters to host of 2008 DD Conference and Promo item suppliers.
– Instructor Handbooks – Maryann’s List of Directors, Instructor CD’s – Maryann’s List of Presidents.
– Two requests for Merit Award Applications.
– COS Sokol Magazine, 11/2008 and 12/2008.
– December Director’s Newsletter.
– October American Sokol Publication.
– Hodges Badge Co. Postcard & Catalog 10% Winter Sale 12/1/08 thru 2/15/09.
– Slovak Catholic Falcon December 2008 publication.
– Various Sokol publications with articles advertising 2009 Slet.
– Postcard: Czech & Slovak Sokol Minnesota Spring 2009 Upcoming Events, www.sokolmn.org.
– SVU publication Regional Conference College Station TX June 5-7, 2009 www.svu2000.org. Obama Descendent of Bohemian Royalty.
– Fitness Warehouse, Inc. catalog, Marshall MO 800-559-5940.
– “Effective Techniques for Total Body Strengthening :The Physiology of Strength Training & Program Design” Seminars 2/10-19/2009 in IA, WI & IL-Chicago, Schaumburg, Bloomington Brochure.
– Minutes and updated Action List posted, www.american-sokol.org/boi/members.
– Slovene National Benefit Society information about their camp-Polish Falcons are using it.
– Miss Czech Slovak USA Pageant, Wilber NE, July 31-Aug 2, 2009, www.missczechslovakus.com.
– Instructor School Bid Applications to local CD Directors.
– Allison Gerber current contact info: e-mail, email@example.com, phone 319-854-6488. Update BOI Rosters Page 3-5 & 3-6 in Handbook.
– Emanuella Grinberg new address: 1280 West Peachtree St #1805, Atlanta GA 30309. Update Program/Committee Coordinators Page 9-7 in Handbook.
– Kevin Richards: Response about my inquiry of SNPJ camp; forward to Lori for further contact.
– Sokol Serbia www.sokol.org.yu Happy New Year!
– Central District hosting a GIJO Meet 2/1/09 Elite/Sokol Chicagoland and 2 Special Number Judging Workshops, 1/18 Sokol Tabor & 1/31 Sokol Stickney.
– Czech Allied Organizations in Chicago, Debutante Ball February 7, 2009, Sokol Girls & Sokol Escorts: Hallie Soulides (Ken Fron, Jr.) Sokol Tabor; Jenna Vondrasek (Matt Carlozzi) Sokol Stickney; Jane Malina (Phil Soulides); and Alix Wilt (Henry Malina) Sokol Spirit.
– Br. B. Kucera reviewed the attached Youth Committee Status Report dated January 14, 2009.
– Also, attached are the American Sokol Current Youth Member Totals report dated January 12, 2009, and the BOI Youth Account Transactions, 11/13/2008 through 1/14/2009.
2009 AMERICAN SOKOL SLET
– Packet with registration survey, fee schedule accepted at last meeting, application for participant cards (due April 1, 2009 for early bird special of $50 each), all access spectator cards ($80) and an individual participant information and release form. Ultimate deadline is May 15, 2009, will be mailed in the next week. This information will be posted on the BOI web site and can be printed from the site.
– Logistics of pictures have not been worked out for photo identification; information will be distributed at a later date. Each participant will need a photo ID. Complete entry form packets should be sent out in early March with a mid-May deadline.
– Mike Drobick sent Br. C. Kalat the copy of his tabulating program. Br. Kalat will test it and it will be used for the Slet. Central District used this program in December and it worked with no problems.
– Omni Hotel has officially opened last Monday night. Nobody will be staying there until next week.
– The Festival has attracted a group that schedules activities for special needs children. Their plan is to do some gymnastics, hold a basketball clinic, golf tournament and will have a banquet. They have been very active in soliciting sponsors.
– We hope to have a title sponsor and some other major contributors.
– We received a $25, 000 sponsorship from a Ft. Worth promotional group that promotes activities in Ft. Worth, which will be used for promotion.
– Bottles of wine will be provided for gift baskets for dignitaries.
– The Slet Committee will now be meeting every two weeks to continue the planning process.
– Sis. L. Laznovsky has been working USAG. There are 30 different countries which have expressed interest in participating in the Festival in USAG competitions and galas.
– Br. T. Pajer reported that on February 7, 2009, he will be having a face-to-face meeting with Sis. L. Laznovsky and Paula Lord regarding the Opening Ceremonies and special number items. There should not be any real strict requirements. USAG, PAGU and ASO will perform special numbers. Br. T. Pajer will report more at the next meeting.
– Anyone can participate in the “Let Loose” number. There will be two different color t-shirts with a design on the front, navy blue shorts and white shoes. Shirts will be included in registration packets distributed in Ft. Worth. Br. T. Pajer is actually looking for shirts that would be one color on front and another on back and the opposite design between fast and slow parts.
– All ID pictures will be needed prior to receiving registration packet in Ft. Worth.
– It will be more beneficial to ASO for everyone to obtain their passes prior to event rather than at the event. If purchased at the event, the fees will then be split between ASO and USAG.
– The Slet Action List was reviewed; an updated copy is posted on the BOI members’ web site.
2008 BOI CONFERENCE AND DISTRICT DIRECTORS CONFERENCE
– Sis. J. LoGiudice did finances. BOI Development Conference egistration income was $2, 435. Total expenses were $10, 620.59. The breakdown for the School Board meeting expenses were $1, 544.27, Directors’ meeting expenses were $5, 651.37, and Development Conference expenses were $3, 424.95.
– Sis. M. Fiordelis sent evaluations to Br. C. Kalat, Sis. B. Vondra and to the office. Sis. J. LoGiudice did not see them. Sis. Fiordelis will re-send them to Sis. LoGiudice.
OTHER OLD AND NEW BUSINESS:
2009 National Camp Venue
– Still do not have a venue for Camp. We are looking at a camp in Cleveland, but negotiations for and agreeable price are still in progress. Sis. L. Laznovky is looking into camps in Michigan and Pennsylvania. We are still holding St. Louis open for our use. Camp will be August 2-9, 2009.
– There will be a camp staff meeting on the first weekend in February, 2009. If there is no venue the meeting would be postponed.
2009 National Instructor’s School Site
– No venue chosen yet. Sokol West may be submitting a bid, but has not yet.
– Central District is also looking for a site for the school. Br. T. Pajer will let us know when he hears back from the Central District units about a possible location.
Strategic Planning Committee Progress Report
– Sis. M. Fiordelis gave an update on the organizational development team and the communications team.
– The Organizational Development Team should start in January, 2009; would like more members for this team.
– There are still no candidates for the Communications Team; anyone interested would be appreciated.
– The Membership Team is currently active, though hitting some walls. They are working toward a deadline for presentation to the SPTF.
– The Volunteer Management and Finance Teams should be providing some goal deadlines soon.
– The Implementation Team continues working on their survey and they will be going out to see how the programs are going in each of the units.
– The BOI needs to start thinking about how they will oversee the core physical program. The instructors’ manual and core physical program has been released and we should be distributing a direction to districts and units. The instructors’ standards went out to all presidents and directors. The core program went out to unit implementation team members and the presidents. All units should have these in their hands. Sis. B. Vondra suggested the Directors and Assistants get together to get on top of this; a date will be selected for this meeting. The Implementation Team should also be working on this.
2009 WSF Fitness Program
– Information was sent out. Sokol USA was asked if they would be interested in participating.
– The goal is to get out all the awards before classes end; therefore, the deadline for submission is April 1, 2009, deadline. The COS deadline is in June.
2009 WSF Show Program
– This program is going to be repeated again this year. There is no limit on the number of submissions by each organization. Deadline to COS is 4/15/09. Central District will submit a video from Special Number Competition. Rules are the same with a 4 minute time limit (between 3.5 and 4.5 minutes). The judging will be handled the same way as last year.
– There will be a WSF meeting at the Slet and they want to announce winners at that time.
2009 District Directors Conference – Detroit – October 9-11, 2009
– This weekend has been confirmed. There will be a hayride event from Sokol Detroit that weekend. School Board will also be meeting that weekend.
National Educational Director
– Sis. J. LoGiudice reported that Sis. E. Schnabl sent a packet to the office for November with a lot of health and exercise information, information about materials Sokol Naperville-Tyrs sends to new class members, Br. Harris’ success stories and an article about St. Wenceslaus. For January, marching tactic suggestions, Sokol maxims and mottos, Tyrs quotes and how to say I love you in different languages. District educational directors received packets.
– Central District is having a fundraiser selling croc charms for $5/each or $25/100.
– USA Gymnastics 2009 National Congress and Trade Show, August 13-15, 2009, Dallas, TX.
– Wellness initiative is on hold because Br. Pajer is having a hard time getting people to help with it.
– There is an issue with girls’ skills. Central District is competing old novice and new novice routines. The skills cards do not match the new novice routines. Br. Pajer is going to work with Sis. C. Curran-Wurst to update the novice routine skills cards for next year.
– American Council on Exercise: www.acefitness.org.
– PE-NEWS: Newsletter: www.pelinks4u.org.
– PE4life: www.pe4life.org.
– The Presidents Challenge: Fitness is Fun Newsletter: www.presidentschallenge.org.
– Health & Fitness: www.exercise.about.com.
– President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports: www.fitness.gov.
– Sign up for newsletters: www.talk.about.com
– Tiffin Mats: www.TiffinMats.com, monthly specials.
– Gymnastic Training tips: www.gymnasticstrainingtips.com. Links and Resources.
– American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, www.aahperd.org.
– Information about Brain Fitness, www.brainconnection.com.
– Interesting games video article, www.skillastics.com.
– Improve fitness and nutrition habits, www.pejournal.com.
BOI ACTION LIST
– Action list was reviewed; an updated copy is posted on the BOI members’ web site.
– The Slet Action List was reviewed and also posted.
– The next regular ASO-BOI meeting will be held on Wednesday, February 11, 2008, at 7:30 p.m. There was no further business to discuss.
MOTION made to adjourn.
Meeting adjourned at 9:05 p.m.
Beverly R. Domzalski, Secretary