This meeting opened at 7:30 p.m. by Sis. B. Vondra at Central District Office in Brookfield, Illinois. The Pledge of Allegiance was given. The following BOI members were present: Bev Domzalski, Maryann Fiordelis, Allison Gerber, Chuck Kalat, Jan Kalat, Barb Kucera, Bob Kucera, Juanita LoGiudice, Nancy Pajeau, Tom Pajer, Irena Polashek, Barb Vondra, Howie Wise, Jane Wise, Christina Curran-Wurst. Guest: Maria Breidenbach. Peter Lattanzio, Kandi Pajer and Patti Vondra were excused.
Br. C. Kalat thanked Br. T. Pajer for arranging for the use of the Central District office in Brookfield, IL, for tonight’s meeting. The ASO office has successfully moved from Oak Brook office to new 9126 Ogden Avenue, Brookfield, IL, office; however, it is not yet set up to accommodate meetings at this time.
– Happy New Year! Happy Belated Birthday!: Jerry Milan, 12/09; and Barb Kucera, 1/01.
– Happy Birthday! Rome Milan, 1/29.
– Minutes of the November 14, 2007, meeting were reviewed.
MOTION made by Br. T. Pajer to approve the minutes of the November 14, 2007, American Sokol – BOI meeting, seconded by Sis. N. Pajeau and passed.
– Juanita LoGiudice, postage, $87.56.
MOTION made by Br. T. Pajer to approve bills, seconded by Br. B. Kucera and passed.
– Winter Slet registration forms to District and Unit Directors and guest organization Directors.
– Crown Trophy in Brookfield letter with Season’s Greetings.
– American Sokol Directors’ Newsletter – December.
– COS Sokol Publication, 10/07 and 12/07 issues.
– Hodges Badge Company, reminder postcard for Winter Sale, 10% order 12/1/07 to 2/15/08, www.hodgesbadge.com.
– Nov/Dec American Sokol Publication.
– Sokol Times. Can view on website www.sokolusa.org; click on Today, select Sokol Times issues from 11/06. WSF host October 2008 Fitness Competition, page 4.
– Invitation to NE District Slet, Sunday, 6/8/08.
– Two merit award requests; sent out applications.
– Sokol Naperville Tyrs requested skills awards; order was filled.
– November BOI Minutes and October Directors’ Conference Minutes posted on website.
– Yahoo Group: Updated Action List Posted, www.american-sokol.org/boi/members.
– Written report dated January 9, 2008, is attached and posted at www.american-sokol.org/boi/members.
– Membership expenses broken down: Copying and folding of November newsletter, $569.15; envelopes, laminating sheets, colored paper, $253.97; renewal sticker labels, $18.13; 1, 000 passports, $707.50; postage for registration and membership materials and November newsletter, $861.00; 4 rolls of $.17 stamps for extra postage for envelopes with passport included, $68.00.
– Sis. A. Gerber will speak to Sokol Omaha this weekend about submitting their youth membership.
MOTION made by Sis. N. Pajeau to pay youth membership bills, seconded by Br. Pajer and passed.
STRATEGIC PLAN PROGRAM TEAM
– Br. T. Pajer gave a presentation on the progress of the Program Team. Two ideas were presented and Br. Pajer requested input from the BOI. The two ideas were for core and toning.
– Br. Pajer presented his idea as physical achievement records program and will use skills program as core. The skills program would be restructured to make it easier. Skills cards would become achievement records. Gym skills would be reworked into this program. This could be done for volleyball, basketball, core and training, track and field and calisthenics. A template would be produced for additional record cards for new sports. Br. Pajer showed example of possible template for volleyball and core and training.
– Sis. M. Breidenbach presented her idea as a progression idea that would cater to the needs of each individual and create a database of exercises for certain muscle groups.
– Comments and ideas were given by those present at the meeting; however, it was felt that this presentation gave ideas for keeping data, but not a specific physical program.
NATIONAL EDUCATIONAL DIRECTOR
– Br. C. Kalat received another packet of information from Sis. Schnabl. No specific report for this meeting from Sis. Schnabl.
– Winter Slet deadline for registration applications is this Friday, although, anyone who shows up at Slet with an application will be allowed to participate. Mike Wise did send out reminders about deadline.
– Teddy Polashek and Mike Wise will be discussing hotel reservations.
– Central District has a contest for attendance at Winter Slet. The most participation by a Unit will be tracked and awarded. Total participation of members in a Unit in the three Slet events will make the Central District Unit eligible to win a $50 prize.
OTHER OLD AND NEW BUSINESS:
2009 American Sokol Slet – June 22 to June 28, 2009
– The committee continues to plan.
– The Senior II calisthenics has been videoed and Br. Kalat has received written text, but not the video.
– The Children’s calisthenics author has a new commitment for the end of January.
– The Junior/Adult calisthenics is done, but has not yet been videoed.
– Of the USAG groups, the Tumbling and Tramp group and the acro group will not be participating with us.
– The BOI discussed getting deadlines set for completion of tasks and would like to see more action with regard to the 2009 Slet. Other Districts, while planning Slets, were working under pressure and meeting deadlines, yet Southern District has not reported any specific goals for accomplishing tasks and deadlines.
WSF “Show” Program/Contest
– Each organization submits a special number on DVD; then all special numbers are put on one DVD and are shipped out for all organizations to judge. Awards are then given for various criteria.
– The deadline was the end of February; it has been extended to the end of March. Since most exhibitions will be in March, maybe by the end of February there will be some videos of potential submissions to the contest.
WSF “Fitness” Program/Contest
– Additional information was received from the WSF. This will consist of 5 different physical activities, i.e. sit-ups, shuttle run, flexibility, broad jump and push-ups. There will be a chart and points will be given for the amount of each activity you do. Awards will be given according to points received.
– Jane and Howie Wise will oversee this program. An announcement\will be published in the Directors’ Newsletter and detailed information will be mailed to each unit. Entry deadline is the end of June.
Strategic Planning Committee Report
– Sis. M. Fiordelis indicated that the three core programs for the program team have been approved.
– The finance team has two surveys out on fundraising and on facility usage; it is working specifically with Sokol Wilber. A $3, 800 grant was received from Bridgestone Firestone for the National Instructors School.
– The database team will be presenting the program to the task force next week and then to the executive board at the January meeting.
– The instructors’ standards team began meeting in early December and are putting together a guideline book for gymnastic instructors.
– The executive director’s position is posted again on Craig’s List and we have received 12 resumes to date.
– The Board of Governors is responsible for submitting names for the implementation team so that we have representation from each District.
– The Volunteer Management and Membership teams are getting started soon.
National Skills Month
– Br. T. Pajer will talk to Christina Wurst, Patty Vondra and Bob Kucera to discuss taking this program to a next level by way of achievement awards.
– Br. B. Kucera indicated Central District held its Boys’ Skills Meet on December 8, 2007. There were 41 gymnasts evaluated and out of 41 gymnasts, the awards were 20 Level 2 patches and 3 Level 3 patches.
– Br. Ron Jaros, Eastern Men’s Directors, provided Sis. J. LoGiudice with Stability Ball Progressions and Exercises at the 2007 District Directors’ Conference.
– Sis. A. Gerber reported problems with the music for Women’s Master and Novice Levels and getting it on a CD for use with masters routines for the 2009 Slet.
– American Council on Exercise: www.acefitness.org.
– PE-NEWS: Newsletter: www.pelinks4u.org.
– PE4life: www.pe4life.org.
– The Presidents Challenge: Fitness is Fun Newsletter: www.presidentschallenge.org.
– Health & Fitness: www.exercise.about.com.
– President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports: www.fitness.gov/enewsletter/Winter07-execdir-main.htm .
– Sign up for newsletters: www.talk.about.com
– Tiffin Mats: www.TiffinMats.com, monthly specials.
– Gymnastic Training tips: www.gymnasticstrainingtips.com. Links and Resources.
– Action list was reviewed; an updated copy is posted on the BOI members web site.
– The next regular ASO-BOI meeting will be held on Wednesday, February 13, 2008, at 7:30 p.m. There was no further business to discuss.
MOTION made to adjourn.
Meeting adjourned at 9:00 p.m.
Beverly R. Domzalski, Secretary