This meeting opened at 7:30 p.m. by Sis. B. Vondra at American Sokol Office in Brookfield, Illinois and via teleconference. The Pledge of Allegiance was given. The following BOI members were present: Mary Cushing, Bev Domzalski, Maryann Fiordelis, Chuck Kalat, Jan Kalat, Barb Kucera, Bob Kucera, Juanita LoGiudice, Nancy Pajeau, Kandi Pajer, Tom Pajer, Irena Polashek, Barb Vondra, Howie Wise, Jane Wise, Christina Curran-Wurst and Greg Harris. Program Team members present: Flo DelCarlo and Candy Short. Allison Gerber, Ted Polashek and Patti Vondra were excused.
– Happy Belated Birthday: John Bazata, 6/10.
– Happy Birthday: Sandy Benak, 6/11; Kandi Pajer, 6/17; Howie Wise, 6/18; Maryann Fiordelis, 6/25; Ellen Jeanne Schnabl, 7/15; and Ed Schnabl, 8/03.
– Moment of silence for Charlie Petrzelka from Sokol Houston.
– Happy Flag Day! Happy Father’s Day! and Happy Summer!
– Minutes of the May 14, 2008, meeting were reviewed.
MOTION made by Br. T. Pajer to approve the minutes of the May 14, 2008, American Sokol – BOI meeting, seconded by Br. B. Kucera and passed.
– June Director’s Newsletter
– Sokol Spirit’s Newsletter; Website coming soon: www.sokolspirit.org.
– Old Czech books donated to UIC Slavic and East European Studies, contact June Farris at 773-702-8456.
– COS Sokol Publication; gave to Sis. I. Polashek to peruse.
– Hodges Badge Co. 2008 Catalog: Gymnastics, Cheer & Dance Awards; Tots Skills Ribbon advertised. www.hodgesbadge.com. The office has Birthday Ribbons and Skills Awards for purchase.
– TV Sokol Munichov “Sokolik” 2007/08 publication Irena
– Oriental Trading Catalog 7/08.
– Sokol LA Newsletter, www.sokolLA.org; 103 adults, 2 youth members active.
– 2. Krajansky folklorni festival 2008, September 18-21, 2008.
– Central District Rhythmic Gymnastics “Instructor School.” Attend Sunday, July 13th or Sunday, August 24th, host: Sokol Chicagoland at Elite Sports Complex in Downers Grove, IL; contact Beth McCloskey at email@example.com.
– Minutes and updated Action List posted, www.american-sokol.org/boi/members.
STRATEGIC PLANNING TASK FORCE
– The Program Committee members headed by Br. Tom Pajer gave an oral presentation of the Physical Program created by the Program Committee.
– Youth Committee Status Report dated June 11, 2008, is attached.
– There are still no youth members reported from Baltimore, Little Ferry and Corpus Christi.
2008 AMERICAN SOKOL NATIONAL INSTRUCTORS SCHOOL – July 7-21, 2008, Sokol Greater Cleveland
– One more new student has applied, but paid the early bird fee; an e-mail has gone out for $50.00 more.
– There are 30 students enrolled. The staff is Kevin Fitzpatrick, Steven Wise, Gretchen Vencl, Jessica Burns, Peter Lattanzio and Mary Cushing. Heidi Vencl is only Instructor in Training (IT) who applied and has been accepted. There are 5 novice, 10 beginners, 8 intermediate, 5 advanced and 2 advanced II.
2008 NATIONAL SOKOL SUMMER CAMP – July 27-August 3, 2008, Sokol St. Louis Camp
– Sis. J. Kalat reported there are 49 campers: 47 American Sokol and 2 Sokol USA from 7 units and 3 different Districts. Breakdown: Sokol USA Lodge 12, 2; Sokol Detroit, 1; Sokol Spirit, 11; Sokol Tabor, 7; Sokol Stickney, 8; Sokol Greater Cleveland, 7; Sokol KHB, Ennis, 6; Sokol St. Louis, 7.
– Sis. L. Laznovsky thanked everyone for their support of the camp program. Sis. Laznovsky is working with Sokol St. Louis to work out the sleeping arrangements. The staff is in contact via teleconference and e-mail. Staff will arrive early to prepare camp and activities prior to campers’ arrival. Travel arrangements are in progress. Transportation to Six Flags has been arranged and plans for meals are in place.
– There are 5 staff members: Peter Lattanzio, Tom Pajer, Kevin Fitzpatrick, Matt Carlozzi and Maria Briedenbach; and 3 counselors: Ryan Briedenbach, Ryan Newcomer and Seamus Malarkey.
NATIONAL EDUCATIONAL DIRECTOR REPORT
– All Districts are not sending in educational reports.
– Safety tips for kids this summer can be found at www.usa.safekids.org.
– Pain out of Sprain – self-care consisting of RICE (Rest/Ice/Compress/Elevate).
– Br. H. Wise stated there is no report.
– Br. Wise will check with the New Wing committee to see if they are planning a conference, possibly in conjunction with Directors’ Conference, or if there is any input for Slet 2009.
OTHER OLD AND NEW BUSINESS:
2009 American Sokol Slet – June 22 to June 28, 2009
– The BOI leadership continues to meet and work through some of the issues. One major discussion is participation by non-Sokols in our competitions.
– Tentative schedule has been set up.
-Sis. Laznovsky has posted Slet bulletins on the Yahoo web site.
– Slet meeting was held following the District Slet.
– Continuing work on sponsorships; has some contact with large corporations that may be interested.
– Br. R. Milan and Sis. L. Laznovsky will have materials for vendor booths available at the USA Gymnastics Coaches Congress in Philadelphia.
– Hotel is booking rooms; there are some problems with phone-in reservations; it is easier via internet.
– Southern District tested Senior II cal and the Children’s cal.
– Br. Dostal and Br. Vrana from the COS inquired about how COS can participate in the Slet.
– The target date is 9/1/2008 for materials to be sent out.
– Sis. B. Vondra reviewed the Tots cal and it needs to be videoed, hopefully by adults.
– Br. T. Polashek is taping the folk dance; Sis. B. Vondra has the text.
– Central District tested senior cal and performed it at the Northeastern District Slet.
– Central District is going to be testing the All Sokol Special Number. DVD is in final production. It will be ready for mass distribution.
– Br. T. Pajer was asked to come to the GAT Convention in Texas over the Labor Day weekend.
– Br. C. Kalat requested the 2009 Slet be promoted at both National Course and Camp as much as possible.
Traveling Summer Camp
– Central District will host camp 6/13-15/08. Staff members are Maria Briedenbach, Stacey Domzalski, Caitlin Short and Matt Petkus. Kevin Fitzpatrick cannot attend, but has handled pre-camp preparations. Campers will learn “Let Loose” number. A new staff member, Ally Mangia, will be tried out.
– There will be new activities introduced. There are 30 campers registered.
2008 Family Camp – Warren Dunes, Michigan, 9/5-7/08.
– Three sites have been reserved so far.
WSF “Fitness” Program/Contest
– Sis. J. Wise reported 7 units with 232 participants; 59 will get medals. All participants will receive a lapel pin. Distribution of awards will be in mid-June.
– So far, two transcripts out of last year’s 7 recipients have been received.
– Four applications were submitted on time; no applications from males. There were two from Central District, one from Eastern District and one from Western District.
– All four qualified, the winners are
Paige Vachata – Central District – Sokol Stickney
Amelia Makowski – Eastern District – Sokol Baltimore
Anna Mangia – Central District – Sokol Tabor
Kelsey Ann Rhoades – Western District – Sokol South Omaha
The Merit Award Committee consisted of Chuck and Jan Kalat, Barb Kucera, Christina Curran-Wurst, Buddy Benak and Barb Vondra.
MOTION made by Sis. J. Kalat to accept the merit award nominations, seconded by Sis. C. Curran-Wurst and passed.
– It was suggested that the merit award be talked about at Instructors Course because attendance at instructors course is heavily weighted for receipt of the award.
Strategic Planning Committee Progress Report
– Sis. M. Fiordelis was pleased with the Program Team’s presentation.
– The implementation team is putting together a survey which will go out to the unit and district representatives.
– The instructors standards team is reviewing the latest comments.
– The finance and volunteer management teams are putting together final touches and should be finished by the end of June.
– The membership team is looking at the current membership structure and how it affects the by-laws and where the structure needs to be headed.
– Soon the communication and marketing team will get started; volunteers are needed for these teams.
– Sis. B. Vondra enjoyed attending the District Slet in Detroit this weekend.
– Sis. Irena Polashek joined the “Walk for Vision” in Chicago and raised almost $1, 000. This program will be presented to Central District for more people to join the walk next year.
– American Council on Exercise: www.acefitness.org.
– PE-NEWS: Newsletter: www.pelinks4u.org.
– PE4life: www.pe4life.org.
– The Presidents Challenge: Fitness is Fun Newsletter: www.presidentschallenge.org.
– Health & Fitness: www.exercise.about.com.
– President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports: www.fitness.gov.
– Sign up for newsletters: www.talk.about.com
– Tiffin Mats: www.TiffinMats.com, monthly specials.
– Gymnastic Training tips: www.gymnasticstrainingtips.com. Links and Resources.
– Action list was reviewed; an updated copy is posted on the BOI members’ web site.
– The next regular ASO-BOI meeting will be held on Wednesday, August 13, 2008, at 7:30 p.m. There was no further business to discuss.
MOTION made to adjourn.
Meeting adjourned at 9:15 p.m.
Beverly R. Domzalski, Secretary