This meeting opened at 7:30 p.m. by Br. C. Kalat and Sis. B. Vondra at American Sokol Office in Brookfield, Illinois and via teleconference. The Pledge of Allegiance was given. The following BOI members were present: Mary Cushing, Bev Domzalski, Maryann Fiordelis, Allison Gerber, Chuck Kalat, Jan Kalat, Barb Kucera, Bob Kucera, Juanita LoGiudice, Nancy Pajeau (late), Kandi Pajer, Tom Pajer, Donna Sbriglia, Barb Vondra, Patti Vondra, Howie Wise and Jane Wise. Excused: Christina Curran-Wurst, Teddy Polashek and Irena Polashek.
– Happy Birthday: Allison Gerber, 3/11; Jan Kalat, 3/15.
– Get Well! Bud Benak (hospital); Ed Schnabl (hip surgery).
– Minutes of the February 11, 2009, meeting were reviewed.
MOTION made by Br. B. Kucera to approve the minutes of the February 11, 2009, American Sokol BOI meeting, seconded by Br. T. Pajer and passed.
– Camp meeting: Lori Laznovsky, $356.10, Peter Lattanzio, $312.39, Maria Briedenbach, $193.20.
MOTION made by Br. T. Pajer to approve bills, seconded by Sis. B. Kucera and passed.
– Request for 5 Merit Award Applications. Currently 9 requests have been made.
– Allison Gerber, 2005 Novice routines and 2005 Slet CD/DVD.
– COS Sokol Magazine, 2/2009.
– March Director’s Newsletter.
– February, 2009 American Sokol Publication.
– Crown Trophy 2009 catalog.
– Sokol Times Sokol USA, full page Slet promotion.
– Sokol Detroit, front page promo “Whooping Success” with Texas Tyrs.
– Sample of Sokol balloons.
– Various newsletters.
– Minutes and updated Action List posted, www.american-sokol.org/boi/members
– Correspondence Report for 3/11/09 meeting.
– Nancy Beasley no longer St. Louis Men’s Director and Heather Beasley had a baby boy.
– Sokol Houston: Melanie Davison, Women’s Director and Aaron Davison, Men’s Director.
– Br. Miroslav Vrana, new home address Cukrovarska 62/815, Praha 9-Cakovice, 196 00, CZ.
– Sokol Ft. Worth: Men’s Director, Wade Garrett, new home address is 8553 Hawkview Dr., Ft. Worth, TX 76179. Women’s Director, Sharon Molina, correct zip code is 76135.
– Hodges Badge Co, Web Special 7% off, 7 days-a-week, until March 27th.
– Bethany Garchar: Looking for Sokol information and contact for Sokol Cedar Rapids; replied and copied Allison.
– USA Gymnastics Advisory Council, American Sokol Jerry Milan.
– USAG National Congress & Trade Show, Dallas, TX, Aug 13-15, 2009. Early Bird Registration is May 15th. www.usagymnasticsnationalcongress.org
– Physical Activity Guidelines Supporter Network Webinar, March 19, 3-4 pm ET.
– Shawn Johnson, Dancing with the Stars tonight 8pm ET; vote before or after.
– Br. B. Kucera reviewed the attached Youth Committee Status Report dated March 11, 2009, BOI Youth Account Transactions, American Sokol Current Youth Member Totals and 2008-2009 Youth Membership Fees.
2009 AMERICAN SOKOL SLET
Plans and progress
– A meeting was held today. The committee worked on the schedule in a little more detail in time. The schedule with more accurate times will be published in the Directors’ Newsletter.
– Medals may be in the shape of the State of Texas. Ideas for team trophies were a large bird or a granite rock with a design on it.
– Discussed the layout and floor plan of the Convention Center.
– The participant card deadline is April 1, 2009. The deadline for the picture is May 15, 2009, along with entries. Cards will be ordered with name on them.
– In the Southern District, the Tots Calisthenics is typically not used. Usually, the Tots do 4 or 5 skills and are judged. Sis. L. Laznovsky requested a Tots Skills Evaluation during the 2009 Slet on Saturday in Exhibition Hall. Currently, there are only 26 Tots coming to Slet. Questions were raised as to why a competition would be added in place of Tots doing cal especially since a calisthenics routine had been written for the sole purpose of performing it at the Slet. A compromise was suggested that the competition be allowed only if the Tots do the calisthenics on the field.
MOTION made by Sis. B. Kucera to allow the Tots to have a little competition during the Slet week for skills evaluation and that it is strongly encouraged that they participate in the calisthenics on Saturday night, seconded by Br. B. Kucera and passed.
– There was a notice in the Directors’ Newsletter for numbers that wish to participate in the opening ceremonies.
– The numbers are still low from the survey returns.
– Districts should definitely look at the hotel rooms units have blocked and determine quickly whether they need them. By the end of March, we need to release up to 20% of the blocked rooms. If they are not dropped by the end of March, American Sokol will have to pay for the rooms. This goes for the Omni and Sheraton Hotels. Central District, who has rooms to drop, will work with Western District for rooms they may possibly need for the Omni Hotel.
– The Slet Action List was reviewed by Sis. J. Kalat; an updated copy is posted on the BOI members web site.
2009 NATIONAL SOKOL SUMMER CAMP – August 2-9, 2009 – DTJ Camp near Cleveland
– Staff has met and began planning.
– Today a promotional mailing went out to all age appropriate youth members. Br. T. Pajer will post on the web.
– Staff is working on specific activities planned for camp.
2009 NATIONAL INSTRUCTOR SCHOOL
– A bid was received from Sokol Fort Worth to be held right after the Slet. The bid was sent to the School Board and decision was split as far as whether this would work directly after the Slet and whether the staff and students would be available. Meetings have been held and based on the School Board concerns and lack of staff availability and response of students attending, it was decided to cancel the 2009 Instructors School and instead we would spend the money towards staff development. Sis. M. Cushing will set up a couple of summer and fall weekends where some of the old staff and new prospective staff members would work on developing those staff members so we have a larger pool of staff to draw from every year. This decision was not based on the actual site, but on the lack of efficient staff for this year’s school.
– FYI, February 1 was deadline for course bid for 2010. None have come in. A reminder will go out for 2010 bids.
OTHER OLD AND NEW BUSINESS:
Strategic Planning Committee Progress Report
– Sis. M. Fiordelis reported that the Membership Team has presented their plan to the SPTF. There were some questionable areas and some concerns so the team was put on hold especially with the Organizational Development Team starting to work since there are some cross-over issues.
– The Implementation Team sent out surveys to unit representatives on the programs with a due date of April 15. We are looking to see how the units are doing with the programs. An e-mail went out to Br. Kalat and Sis. Vondra asking if the Implementation Team could put together a survey to get information on the instructor standards. Br. Kalat and Sis. Vondra gave permission to do so.
– The Organization Team will be having a face-to-face meeting during the weekend of April 3-5, 2009, to begin to detail their goals and priorities.
2009 WSF Fitness Program
– Br. and Sis. Wise are awaiting return of results. Results are due by 4/1/2009. Nothing more to be done. Sis. Wise requested that Sis. LoGiudice send out a reminder.
2009 WSF Show Program
– The deadline has been moved to April 9, 2009. There are no age restrictions. All submissions go to Br. C. Kalat.
2009 District Directors Conference – Detroit – October 9-11, 2009
– Sis. M. Fiordelis reported that Sokol Detroit is currently moving forward with plans.
– Central District requested June 12-14, 2009 for Traveling Camp weekend. Currently, Br. Pajer has two staff members that are good to go, one more is needed. Two cannot do it. Br. Pajer is waiting to hear from one more. There is no max to campers. Br. Pajer will get staff to cover number of campers attending.
– Sokol New York expressed interest in traveling camp; possibly in August, 2009. As soon as Sis. Sbriglia has a definite weekend, she will let Br. Pajer know.
– Sis. Schnabl sent articles and booklets: “Boost your Brain, ” “Fit Kids Get Better Grades, ” Proper Hand Hygiene and “Helping your Child Succeed in Elementary School.” All District educational directors received copies of these.
– American Council on Exercise: www.acefitness.org.
– PE-NEWS: Newsletter: www.pelinks4u.org.
– PE4life: www.pe4life.org.
– The Presidents Challenge: Fitness is Fun Newsletter: www.presidentschallenge.org.
– Health & Fitness: www.exercise.about.com.
– President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports: www.fitness.gov.
– Sign up for newsletters: www.talk.about.com
– Tiffin Mats: www.TiffinMats.com, monthly specials.
– Ten-o/GMR, www.ten-o.com or www.byGMR.com, monthly specials.
– DGS 9.9 www.gymsupply.com, 10% coupon online shopping 6/30/09, code: DGSMEETS.
– Gymnastic Training tips: www.gymnasticstrainingtips.com. Links and Resources.
– American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, www.aahperd.org.
– Information about Brain Fitness, www.brainconnection.com.
– Interesting games video article, www.skillastics.com.
– Improve fitness and nutrition habits, www.pejournal.com.
BOI ACTION LIST
– Action list was reviewed; an updated copy is posted on the BOI members’ web site.
– The next regular ASO-BOI meeting will be held on Wednesday, April 8, 2009, at 7:30 p.m.
There was no further business to discuss.
MOTION made to adjourn.
Meeting adjourned at 9:00 p.m.
Beverly R. Domzalski, Secretary