This meeting opened at 7:35 p.m. by Sis. B. Vondra at American Sokol Office in Brookfield, Illinois and via teleconference. The Pledge of Allegiance was given. The following BOI members were present: Mary Cushing, Bev Domzalski, Maryann Fiordelis, Allison Gerber, Chuck Kalat, Jan Kalat, Barb Kucera, Bob Kucera, Juanita LoGiudice, Nancy Pajeau (late), Kandi Pajer, Tom Pajer, Irena Polashek (late), Barb Vondra, Howie Wise (late) and Jane Wise. Excused: Ted Polashek, John Bazata, Patti Vondra and Christina Curran-Wurst.
– Happy Belated Birthday: Bob Kucera, 11/9.
– Happy Birthday: Juanita LoGiudice, 11/16; Irena Polashek, 11/23.
– Minutes of the October 8, 2008, meeting were reviewed.
MOTION made by Br. B. Kucera to approve the minutes of the October 8, 2008, American Sokol BOI meeting, seconded by Br. T. Pajer and passed.
– Juanita LoGiudice, postage for mailing, $104.95; paper supplies, $14.57. Total $119.52.
MOTION made by Br. B. Kucera to approve bills, seconded by Br. T. Pajer and passed.
– Slet material mailing to Sokol Canada.
– Package of Patti Komara special offers.
– COS October, 2008 Sokol Magazine.
– Director’s Newsletter: November.
– September American Sokol Publication.
– Post card from Wisconsin Dells Gymnastics Vacation Classic, January 23-25, 2009, www.wdgvc.com.
– ProMaxima Strength & Conditioning Equipment Catalog www.promaxima.com.
– Tumble Trak 1988-2008 Catalog www.tumbltrak.com.
– Sokol Times: Ad for Slet and Chuck’s picture from their Technical meeting.
– Minutes and updated Action List posted, www.american-sokol.org/boi/members
– Stacey Ratliff: Men’s Director of Sokol Karel Havlicek Yukon.
– Bud and Sandy Benak new e-mail, email@example.com.
– Allison Gerber new e-mail, Allison.Gerber@McLeodUSA.com.
– Vladimir Dostal received our package of slet materials.
– Dr. Gordana Rajnovic: Looking to come to slet from Savez Koko Srbje – more info needed.
– USA Gymnastics new address: 132 E Washington St Ste 700 Indianapolis, IN 46204
– Youth Membership, Skills Letter. IT application info for Handbook additions.
– USAG 2009 American Cup will be held in Chicago on February 21, 2009, at Sears Arena in Hoffman Estates.
– No bills. Income from youth membership was $1, 500.00.
– There are 323 youth members registered. Received Sokol Spirit and Sokol Baltimore registration, but did not count them yet.
– Newsletter will be mailed after registration, after Thanksgiving.
– Br. B. Kucera sent invitations to units with registration packet to join Youth Yahoo Group.
2009 AMERICAN SLET
– At the BOI Conference there was one session on the folk dance, one session on the finale and two sessions on everything else. There were a lot of positive comments about these sessions. Br. C. Kalat thanked all who helped with these sessions.
– There was a Slet Committee meeting last week. Br. G. Harris was in Ft. Worth at that time working with the committee members to solicit sponsorships.
– BOI is working on Slet fees. There will be one participant pass and for each competitive event there will be an amount added on.
– Worked on spectator pricing. There will be an all access pass and a week long spectator pass which will just limit entrance to exhibit hall, daytime competitions, and will be cheaper than the all access pass.
– The individual price for the social will be $22; the opening ceremonies spectator individual will be $12; closing ceremony will be $12; and PAGU evening is $12. It will be cheaper to buy the package. USAG has a similar strategy with a participant pass and add-ons, but theirs is significantly more expensive than ours.
– The bowling event will be the same as in the past; bowling will be near downtown, but will require transportation.
– Next Slet Committee meeting will be in early December and pricing packages should be put together by then and can be reviewed at the next ASO BOI meeting.
– Jean Hruby is working with the seals; it is unknown what the Slet logo is at this time.
– Br. T. Pajer, Sis. L. Laznovsky and Paula Lord met during the Directors Conference and discussed possible ideas for opening ceremonies; no report on anything concrete yet.
– Br. C. Kalat asked for opinions on eliminating team trophies and just awarding medals. Since team trophies are the only awards individual units receive, it was felt trophies should continue to be given for team awards.
– Sis. M. Cushing stated that in-house rhythmic judges will be used for Slet rhythmic competitions.
– The Slet Action List was reviewed; an updated copy is posted on the BOI members’ web site.
2008 BOI CONFERENCE AND DISTRICT DIRECTORS CONFERENCE
– Br. C. Kalat reported that the Directors Conference was exceptional and there were a lot of good discussions.
– Sis. B. Vondra was very pleased with how well the Development Conference went. There was a lot of good feedback heard throughout the weekend. Survey results have not been compiled yet. Sis. M. Fiordelis offered to help with surveys.
– Discussion followed concerning New Wing and their possible role in the Slet.
– Discussed eliminating rule of one parent per child being a member. It was suggested this be discussed as a by-laws change for the convention. This rule limits our membership growth.
OTHER OLD AND NEW BUSINESS:
2009 National Camp Venue
– Several different camp locations are being looked at. Sis. L. Laznovsky is talking to Bela Karoli about using his camp; Br. T. Pajer mentioned a camp in New Buffalo; Sis. B. Kucera looked at the PNA Camp in Yorkville, IL.
Br. T. Pajer introduced a wellness program which would help people live a healthy lifestyle, and would reward participants for non-alcohol consumption, weight loss, non-smoking, general fitness, etc. Overall wellness would encompass the whole program. Two people are needed to sit down and set up the structure for this program. This idea will be published and talked about to see who would be interested in working on this program.
Strategic Planning Committee Progress Report
– Sis. M. Fiordelis reported that the management team is meeting with the Strategic Plan Task Force and the implementation team and will be presenting their book. The finance committee will follow and present their book. Instructor development materials are being sent out to district directors and presidents who were not present at the Directors’ Conference.
– Two new teams, communications and organizational development, are about to begin. Information about these teams will be in the Sokol Magazine and should be posted on the web site.
– There will be some presentations made at the Board of Governors meeting.
– Br. C. Kalat requested any changes for cals should be sent to him for the next newsletter as there will not be another newsletter for two months.
– American Council on Exercise: www.acefitness.org.
– PE-NEWS: Newsletter: www.pelinks4u.org.
– PE4life: www.pe4life.org.
– The Presidents Challenge: Fitness is Fun Newsletter: www.presidentschallenge.org.
– Health & Fitness: www.exercise.about.com.
– President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports: www.fitness.gov.
– Sign up for newsletters: www.talk.about.com
– Tiffin Mats: www.TiffinMats.com, monthly specials.
– Gymnastic Training tips: www.gymnasticstrainingtips.com. Links and Resources.
BOI ACTION LIST
– Action list was reviewed; an updated copy is posted on the BOI members’ web site.
– The Slet Action List was reviewed and also posted.
– The next regular ASO-BOI meeting will be held on Wednesday, December 10, 2008, at 7:30 p.m. There was no further business to discuss.
MOTION made to adjourn.
Meeting adjourned at 8:55 p.m.
Beverly R. Domzalski, Secretary