This meeting opened at 7:40 p.m. by Sis. B. Vondra at American Sokol Office in Brookfield, Illinois and via teleconference. The Pledge of Allegiance was given. The following BOI members were present: Bev Domzalski, Maryann Fiordelis, Allison Gerber, Chuck Kalat, Jan Kalat, Barb Kucera, Bob Kucera, Juanita LoGiudice, Nancy Pajeau (late arrival), Kandi Pajer, Tom Pajer, Irena Polashek, Donna Sbriglia, Barb Vondra, Patti Vondra, Howie Wise, Jane Wise, Christina Curran-Wurst.
– Happy Belated Birthday: Nancy Pajeau, 9/3
– Minutes of the August 13, 2008, meeting were reviewed. Correction: Sis. M. Fiordelis was excused from last month’s meeting.
MOTION made by Br. T. Pajer to approve the minutes of the August 13, 2008, American Sokol BOI meeting with one correction, seconded by Br. B. Kucera and passed.
– Any changes in Levels 1 to 6 women’s routines will be included in the Slet Manual, along with links to the changes.
STRATEGIC PLANNING COMMITTEE PRESENTATION OF INSTRUCTOR STANDARDS TEAM
– Sis. M. Fiordelis gave a presentation on the Instructor Standards Book prepared by the Instructor Standards Team.
A motion was made by Br. T. Pajer to approve the Instructor Standards Book as presented, seconded by Br. B. Kucera for purposes of discussion. Discussion followed.
– There was a concern that the book is very gymnastic based and as Sokol programs expand and we begin to hold volleyball programs, basketball programs and different things like that, this book does not fit those instructors and there are no standards for them. It was thought that the book would be more general with appendixes for specific sports; however, the Team decided to go with what Sokol is more known for, which is gymnastics.
– The Implementation Team will have responsibility for developing the plan of accountability for not only this book, but for all of the programs and any other items that come from the Strategic Planning Committee. Team members will be available for future issues regarding this Book.
– This Book will be discussed at the Directors’ Conference in Omaha.
– If the national BOI would like the team to do another book that would look more generically at a Sokol class instructor, the committee could take that under advisement and consideration, but as it is right now we are going to get the book out for the gymnastics instructor.
– A few discrepancies in the Book were pointed out. Uniform order forms and skills cards need to be current versions. Concerning wages, something needs to be inserted about contacting your tax advisor or your treasurer for filing of the proper tax forms.
– The Team did discuss a process for how the BOI is supposed to go about making changes that may arise in the future. Guidelines need to be provided on updating all programs.
MOTION made by Br. T. Pajer to approve the Instructor Standards Book as presented, seconded by Br. B. Kucera and passed.
– Chuck Kalat, 2008-09 USAG Professional Membership background check (reimburse), $21, 25.
– Barb Vondra, 2008-09 USAG Professional Membership background check (credit card), $21.25.
– Chuck Kalat, travel to Sokol USA National Technical Staff meeting, Boonton, NJ on 9/6/08 (credit card), $512.00.
– Chuck Kalat, Housing for Sokol USA National Technical Staff meeting, Boonton, NJ on 9/6/08 (reimburse), $273.70.
– Juanita LoGiudice, postage and supplies, $91.60.
MOTION made by Sis. B. Kucera to approve bills, seconded by Sis. I. Polashek and passed.
– Letters: Invitation to District Directors’ Meeting and BOI Development Conference to District and Unit Directors, ASO BOI, Sokol USA, DA and Canada Directors and Sokol USA Lodge Directors and Greg Harris.
– WSF DVD to Howie and Jane Wise and Maryann Fiordelis.
– WSF DVD to Barb Vondra for Tom Pajer for group viewing.
– 2008 Instructor School Report, Graduation Program and DVD of pictures during School; 3- 8- ½” x 11”group pictures (Staff, Students w/Staff, Bridgestone/Firestone Scholarship Recipients).
– USA Today Ad Supplement; some of our Sokols listed.
– Director’s Newsletter: September.
– Minutes and updated Action List posted, www.american-sokol.org/boi/members.
– Sokol Corpus Christi: website www.geocities.com/sokolcctx.
– Donna Sbriglia, Sokol New York has a new zip code: 10065.
– Women’s Director of Sokol Cedar Rapids is Annie Prohaska only.
– World Tour of Gymnastics Superstars, www.gymnasticssuperstars.com; click on Tour. Check out www.ortega.com (Free Ticket offer).
– Sokol Washington D.C. Newsletter.
– IL AHPERD Congress, Pheasant Run Resort, St. Charles, IL, November 19-21, 2008.
– Youth Committee Status Report dated September 10, 2008, is attached.
– Breakdown of expenses: copying and folding of August Newsletter, $193.70; postage for mailing august Newsletters, $756.00.
– Youth Ambassadors are not automatically part of the Yahoo Group. They must sign up.
2009 AMERICAN SLET
– Br. T. Pajer attended the GAT (Gymnastic Association of Texas) Conference. Br. Pajer offered thanks to Sis. B. Vondra who showed up and helped out. It was a very successful session and was well attended, thanks to a single gym in Texas called Byron. They had a good time with the number, they learned the whole thing in 30 minutes and were able to perform it quite well. They are a talented group, but not indicative of what 1st class kids might go through. Certainly, this can be taught fairly quickly.
– Regarding Slet Manual preparations, Br. T. Pajer thanked Lynette for doing a phenomenal job on the DVD. She is adding the logo to the title and she will be done with the DVD ahead of schedule. The audio CD is almost done; it is missing the rhythmic music. She needs to do the label work, the insert, the case, etc. The music for Novice, Masters I and Masters II is still being looked into. Lynette said audio music does not match the music on the CD she was given. It was noted that the audio tape was incorrect and to use the music off the USAG CD, which is correct. Because we are trying to figure out where that music is, the chances are not good that it will be complete by the 9/15/08 deadline as promised. Br. Pajer is working with formatting the text right now. The text work is about 2/3 of the way done and final versions of all should be ready by the end of September as promised.
– Br. C. Kalat attended the last Slet committee meeting where he did report on the BOI’s activities.
– A list of required apparatus and volleyball/basketball equipment was given to Br. R. Milan.
– Br. C. Kalat reported on the status of Slet materials, DVDs, etc. as reported above.
– BOI Development conference will have a full track for slet calisthenics. One session of the Tot’s cal, two sessions of the children’s cal, the Junior aerobic cal, the adult cal and the Senior II cal. There will be one long session on the finale.
– Br. C. Kalat will put together a tentative budget with some assumptions for what share of the convention costs will be allocated to the BOI and the equipment costs. It is a larger budget than previous.
– Shuttles are planned for the social at the stockyards. There are 3 different areas: 1 outside area and 2 inside areas.
– The name of the USAG “General gymnastics” discipline has been changed to “Gymnastics For All.”
– A list of auxiliary equipment, i.e. tables, chairs, etc. was prepared.
– Slet committee continues to work on a major sponsor. Greg Harris is now involved and we should make progress. The Committee is preparing to contact other smaller potential donors that they are aware of.
– The Omni Hotel is now 88% booked; building is not yet completed.
– Sis. L. Laznovsky returned from a trip to Pan American Gymnastics Union meeting in Cancun. PAGU represents 27 countries in Central and South America. Interest in attending the International Sport and Cultural Festival is high.
– The promotional video from Br. R. Milan is on Youtube.
2008 BOI CONFERENCE AND DISTRICT DIRECTORS CONFERENCE
– A schedule is being prepared. There is one whole track, 11 sessions, on the Slet calisthenics. We also have sessions on the Novice, Masters and Level 1 and 2 routines, Girls Levels 3, 4, 5 and 6, are going to have a judge there who will discuss what the judges are looking for in those skills. A number of Strategic Plan sessions are scheduled for almost a whole track. Greg Harris will be there doing sessions. An assistant coach from the University of Nebraska will go through the new Men’s Level 4, 5 and up routines. Br. H. Wise is going to handle the new Level 2 and 3 routines. There are still some open spots and sessions that still need presenters. There will be two sessions on each cal.
– There will be a School Board meeting on Thursday afternoon and evening. The Directors’ Conference will start on Friday morning.
– Sis. B. Vondra requested that everyone get their Annual Reports in by September 15, 2008, for the Directors Conference. So far, reports received are: District Annual Reports from Western and Northeastern Districts, Attendance Report and back-up from Sis. M. Fiordelis, Traveling Camp and Skills Program report from Br. Pajer, Sis. Mary Cushing sent Instructors School Report and Rhythmics Report is forthcoming, Sis. K. Pajer sent the Gymnast Report, Sis. B. Kucera sent the Merit Award Report and Br. B. Kucera sent the Youth Report. Hotel rooms are blocked, reservations have been received. Sis. J. LoGiudice will work with Sokol South Omaha for pick-ups from the airport.
– There is nothing new to report.
OTHER OLD AND NEW BUSINESS:
WSF “Show” Program
– Br. C. Kalat will submit as our selections: for most impressive – #2 disco dance group; most original – The Frogs; best choreography – The Sokol Fit Club; and best performed – Sokol ladies doing the umbrellas. This will be submitted to Br. Dostal this week; Br. Dostal did send a reminder letter to get our selections in by September 28, 2008. Br. Kalat will let them known that we were disappointed that other organizations were able to submit more than one number. We followed the rules and only submitted one.
Strategic Planning Committee Progress Report
– Sis. M. Fiordelis reported that the Finance Team and the Volunteer Management Team are finalizing their books and trying to get it together. More Teams are going to get started. Maryann will be promoting volunteers for the new committees at the Directors Conference.
– The Implementation Team is meeting on Monday and, hopefully, there will be a better update.
Sokol USA Technical Meeting
– Br. C. Kalat spent the weekend in Boonton, NJ, to attend the Sokol USA Technical Meeting, which was a typical meeting. There were representatives there from all 5 active units. They are
looking forward to attending our Slet and are making preparations and saving money.
– Sokol USA has a lot of the same issues as ASO, i.e. lack of participation and the organization is too small.
– Charity Ruhl is doing well in her gymnastic club in Monesson, which has a Sokol part in the club. She holds Sokol classes and regular gymnastic classes.
– Their camp is having trouble getting activities out there and getting people to support the camp. The National Camp staff has concerns about returning there for future camps.
– They are planning to have their next Slet in 2011 in Central Pennsylvania.
– For the first time, their Men’s Director, Rich Yatcheson, and his wife, Christine, will be coming to our Director’s Conference to see how the other half does things.
– The YES Committee is no longer functioning.
– They were impressed that we are in fact moving forward with Strategic Planning and taking some positive action. They were impressed with the fact that we hired an Executive Director and asked questions about how we found him, etc.
2008 Family Camp at the Warren Dunes, September 7-9, 2008
– Warren Dunes camping activity was cancelled.
– National Gymnastic Day is September 13, 2008. Sokols Tabor, Stickney and Chicagoland have activities planned.
– There will be a conference from AHPERD in Elk Grove Village, IL, on 10/28/08, Energize your Physical Education Programs: Innovative Strategies, Activities and Assessments (Grades 6-12).
– Convention plan for 2010 is currently planned to be in Omaha instead of Las Vegas during the last weekend of June, 2010.
– Sis. A. Gerber reported on Sokol Cedar Rapids progress since flood. Hope to begin classes in a new facility in January, 2009. They are currently meeting at a local gym club for classes.
– CLActivewear will no longer make warm-ups.
– American Council on Exercise: www.acefitness.org.
– PE-NEWS: Newsletter: www.pelinks4u.org.
– PE4life: www.pe4life.org.
– The Presidents Challenge: Fitness is Fun Newsletter: www.presidentschallenge.org.
– Health & Fitness: www.exercise.about.com.
– President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports: www.fitness.gov.
– Sign up for newsletters: www.talk.about.com
– Tiffin Mats: www.TiffinMats.com, monthly specials.
– Gymnastic Training tips: www.gymnasticstrainingtips.com. Links and Resources.
BOI ACTION LIST
– Action list was reviewed; an updated copy is posted on the BOI members’ web site.
– The Slet Action List was reviewed and also posted.
– The next regular ASO-BOI meeting will be held on Wednesday, October 8, 2008, at 7:30 p.m. There was no further business to discuss.
MOTION made to adjourn.
Meeting adjourned at 9:20 p.m.
Beverly R. Domzalski, Secretary