This meeting opened at 7:30 p.m. by Br. C. Kalat and Sis. B. Vondra at the American Sokol Office in Brookfield, Illinois and via teleconference. The Pledge of Allegiance was given. The following BOI members were present: Mary Cushing (late), Bev Domzalski, Maryann Fiordelis (late), Allison Gerber, Chuck Kalat, Jan Kalat, Bob Kucera (left early), Juanita LoGiudice, Kandi Pajer, Tom Pajer, Irena Polashek, Barb Vondra, Patti Vondra, Howie Wise and Jane Wise. Excused: Barb Kucera, Nancy Pajeau, Ted Polashek and Christina Wurst.
– Happy Birthday: Nancy Pajeau, 9/3
– Happy Anniversary: Jerry and Henrietta Milan, 9/15.
– Minutes of the August 12, 2009, meeting were reviewed.
MOTION made by Br. T. Pajer to approve the minutes of the August 12, 2009, American Sokol BOI meeting, seconded by Br. B. Kucera and passed.
– Chuck Kalat, copies and postage sending survey to all directors regarding implementation/usage of the “Guidelines for Developing a Successful Sokol Gymnastics Instructor” manual, $44.80.
– Chuck Kalat, new floor music CD, Levels 1-6, $15.00.
MOTION made by Br. T. Pajer to approve bills, seconded by Br. B. Kucera and passed.
– Letters to Sokol USA Directors: Thank you for past years to Karen Ondira and Rich Yatchyshyn. Welcome to Chris Yatchyshyn & Todd Yatchyshyn.
– COS 6/2009 and 7/2009 Sokol Magazine.
– Director’s Newsletter: September.
– Various Unit newsletters.
– Tumbl Trak Catalog, www.tumbltrak.com.
– Juanita LoGiudice, thank you card for expressing Sympathy to her with personal words, e-mails, cards, a beautiful
Garden Basket of plants and flowers from BOI on the passing of her mom on August 24, 2009, Visitation Service was held on August 29, 2009.
– Minutes and Updated Action List Posted, www.american-sokol.org/boi/members.
– Correspondence Report for 9/9/09 meeting.
– Chuck Kalat, sign-up for Directors Newsletter via email firstname.lastname@example.org. Start September, 2009 issue.
– Sokol Houston Webpage: www.sokolhouston.org.
– Sokol Farrell –Sokol USA: www.sokolfarrell.org.
– Br. B. Kucera reviewed the attached Youth Committee Status Report dated September 9, 2009, and Youth Membership Account Transactions.
– Br. B. Kucera will send a letter to units who have overpayments and under or no payments with a copy of that letter to Br. C. Kalat and Sis. B. Vondra.
– Total amount in Youth Account is $10, 400.00.
2009 NATIONAL SOKOL SUMMER CAMP, August 2-9, 2009, DTJ Camp near Cleveland
– Sis. L. Laznovsky has sent a report to the ASO office for the District Directors’ Conference. The financials are not yet complete. Her report will be posted on the ASO web site with other reports for the District Directors’ Conference.
DISTRICT DIRECTORS CONFERENCE AND SCHOOL BOARD MEETING (10/8-11/2009)
– The deadline for reports is September 15, 2009.
– The School Board meeting will be on October 8, 2009. Not sure of start time; either 1:00 p.m. or 3:00 or 4:00 p.m. Br. C. Kalat has yet to talk to Br. Benak to finalize the agenda.
– The District Directors Conference begins on Friday October 9, 2009 at 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time. Meeting will continue on Saturday with a social in the evening and will conclude on Sunday morning.
– Topics for the conference agenda include Slet review, tournament rules, uniforms, core programs, instructor development guidelines manual. Any other topic suggestions should be sent to Br. C. Kalat.
– Tournament rules changes are due to Br. B. Kucera by September 30, 2009.
– Sis. J. LoGiudice spoke to Bill Kool, Carrie Baker and Donna Sbriglia of Eastern District and all are involved with their personal lives and have not been dealing with Sokol matters.
– A follow-up Probortunity meeting was held on August 30, 2009, at 7:00 p.m., via teleconference.
– The top ideas discussed at this meeting included holding a family camp and/or an adult camp. This will be addressed further by Br. T. Pajer, Sis. L. Laznovsky and Sis. C. Wurst.
– Other ideas were a dodge ball tournament, something similar to hands across America with hand stands, USAG Gymnastics for All, dance contest and BOI calendar. Various BOI members are working to flesh out these ideas.
– Anyone else interested in expanding on any of these ideas would be appreciated.
– A calendar needs to be started early instead of at this time.
– Concerning the USAG Gymnastics for All event, more questions need to be answered by Sis. L. Laznovsky. More questions were raised at this meeting.
– Another follow-up probortunity meeting is scheduled for September 30, 2009, at 7:30 p.m.
OTHER OLD AND NEW BUSINESS:
National Instructor School Staff Training
– Sis. M. Cushing had nothing to report.
– Sis. B. Vondra has all the information for the Slet and it is good to go. Still needs a few prices yet, and should have that information by the end of this week or early next week. Information will then be e-mailed to BOI and will be posted in the Directors’ Newsletter.
– The date is January 15-17, 2010, in the Chicago area. The Hampton Hotel is the place to stay; $79.00 per night, including breakfast.
– Friday will be dodge ball. Saturday will be bowling in the morning, laser tag in the afternoon with a bags tournament in the evening. Anyone can join the laser tag event. The pig roast will be at Sokol Tabor on Saturday evening. On Sunday at Sokol Tabor, there will be volleyball in the afternoon (1:00-8:00) and various tournaments in the lower level, i.e. bags tournament, followed by ladder golf. A ping-pong tournament will be going on all day. Sign-up will be on that day.
– Food, beer, wine and soda will be included during volleyball. Cost will be $40 per person playing, spectators will pay $25.
– Br. T. Pajer met with the skill cards coordinators. Tots and Boys cards will remain the same. Sis. Wurst is working on the Girls cards which may have a shift in the novice area. The cards should be posted on the web site by September 18, 2009.
– Cards will be distributed at District Director’s Conference. There will be a reminder that there is an awards system in place and can be purchased from the ASO office. Participation Pins, after results are reported, should be available for free; Br. Pajer needs to do a little more work on this.
– Although there is really no skills program available for Senior II, there will be a Senior II skills card available for Senior IIs to participate in Skills month.
– Sis. J. LoGiudice stated that ribbon order turn around time is 1 to 2 weeks.
Strategic Planning Committee Progress Report
– Sis. M. Fiordelis is preparing a report for the District Directors’ Conference.
– American Sokol received the 2009 Dave Moskovitz Award “Spirit of the Gymnaestrada” and Gymnastics for All. Br. L. Laznovsky and Sis. L. Lavnovsky accepted the award from USAG. There was an article about the award on the USAG home page on August 20, 2009.
– Results of 2009 Slet are posted on website www.slet2009.com. Photos for 2009 ISCF/Slet Videos/Photos: www.usa-gymnastics.org/postlist.php, “Click 6-26-09” ISCF “Click here” direct to event page: http://altremedia.smugmug.com/Sport%20Events/819347, www.duckandshootphotography.photoreflect.com, Robert Tejada direct to event page: http://mrvideoonline.com/event-details.asp?ID=610575.
– There are still videos available for purchase of the 2009 Slet. Discussion followed regarding the purchase of a copy for the National Office archives. American Sokol will be getting the raw footage of videos taken. The entire set would probably cost about $200. Sis. J. LoGiudice will look into purchasing a complete set for the archives.
– Br. C. Kalat will e-mail the Slet Committee to tell them the BOI feels an article should be placed in the publication with pictures about the 2009 ISCF. A copy of that e-mail should go to the editor and the public relations director.
– Br. C. Kalat noted that Br. John Bazata accepted a staff position on the ASO-BOI.
– Prevention: www.prevention.com.
– American Council on Exercise: www.acefitness.org.
– PE-NEWS: Newsletter: www.pelinks4u.org.
– PE4life: www.pe4life.org.
– The Presidents Challenge: Fitness is Fun Newsletter: www.presidentschallenge.org.
– Health & Fitness: www.exercise.about.com.
– President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports: www.fitness.gov.
– Sign up for newsletters: www.talk.about.com
– Tiffin Mats: www.TiffinMats.com, monthly specials.
– Ten-o/GMR, www.ten-o.com or www.byGMR.com, monthly specials.
– DGS 9.9 www.gymsupply.com.
– Gymnastic Training tips: www.gymnasticstrainingtips.com. Links and Resources.
– American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, www.aahperd.org.
– Information about Brain Fitness, www.brainconnection.com.
– Interesting games video article, www.skillastics.com.
– Improve fitness and nutrition habits, www.pejournal.com.
BOI ACTION LIST
– Action list was reviewed; an updated copy dated 9/6/09 is posted on the BOI members’ web site.
– The next ASO-BOI meeting will be the District Directors’ Conference, October 9-11, 2009, in Detroit, MI.
– The next regular ASO-BOI meeting will be held on Wednesday, November 11, 2009, at 7:30 p.m.
There was no further business to discuss.
MOTION made to adjourn.
Meeting adjourned at 9:00 p.m.
Beverly R. Domzalski, Secretary